Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pansontw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 01:22 PM
    OPT cap-gap extension for 2008, how about FICA tax?
    My background: I came to us on April/2004, graduated from master program on June/2007, and started working on July/2007 (OPT started).

Theoretically, I have to stop working while my OPT expired on Jun/15/2008. This year, new regulation allows students who are the H-1B beneficiary to extend their OPT expiration date toward the beginning of H-1B VISA (Oct/1/2008).

So I am still working till now. (June/24/2008)

My question: Do I need to pay FICA taxes during the period of OPT extension (June/15/2008- Sep/30/2008)??

Thank you

Panson
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 11:10 PM
    I have not read the regulation. Can you provide the link where you read this? The link may have the needed details.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Panson:

If the OPT has been formally extended, so has your F-1 visa.

Since you will NOT exceed the five year limited until the end of 2008, you are NOT liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes until your H-1B visa becomes effective on 1 October 2008.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any reason to still buy an R-22 A/C in 2008? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I'm looking to buy an A/C next month and my head is spinning with all of the information that I am getting. It looks like I will be most likely going with a York A/C. I am looking at the "Lattitude" (cheaper) and the "Affinity" (more expensive) model. (Below is a link) York Heating and...

L1 Visa - Tax for 2008 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was reading this site for several topic and now I am confused with few things. I am citizen of India. I came to US with my family (wife and 1 kid) on 28 June 2007. Few questions on Tax for 2008. 1. I am in US more than 183 days for 2007, so I am a resident alien. Should I be filling...

H1 & h4. W-4 allowances for 2008 [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I arrived in the US in October 2007, me on a H1 and him on a H4. I plan to file single for 2007 to avoid the complications of tax already paid in the UK on earnings there (income was considerably greater there!) However, I am wondering what is best to have withheld as we go into...

Act! 2008 [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any forums where I can get this product?

Who is exempt from H1-B 2008 cap? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I need to know, since I didn't make it for the apr 3, 2007 filing date for the H1-B visas, but was offered a full time position as a math teacher at a NY private high school, would that profession qualify as one in the "exempt from the cap" category? I have not received my masters at this time...

View more questions Search