Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melnken1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 22, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Repl GFI, dbl checked wiring still not working
    I have a problem GFI outlet in a remodeled room in my basement. This was done by previous owners, the outlet has been a source of electrical issues for many years. I have had electricians come out and look at other outlet problems in the house and have traced it back to this GFI.

I replaced the GFI because the old one would not reset once tested, it was suggested to me that the GFI device itself may be bad. Now the new one is installed, the wiring on back of only 4 lines (2 black and 2 white) are wired correctly and the breaker has been reset. There is no power to the outlet.

What are some other things I should check? Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful at this point.

Thanks,

Melissa :mad:
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 22, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Melisa,

First, can you turn off the power to the new GFCI outlet. Then remove the outlet and let us know exactly how the outlet is wired, pleased.

I would also be handy to know if this outlet is supposed to control other loads down stream of it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
    What you want to look for is for the incoming power feed to be connected to the line terminals or wires. If it feeds other devices, if their wires are connected to the load terminals, they will be GFCI protected too.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Check Breakers in Main Panel, a pair of wires(black and white) is all it needs to make it work, or for Testing. If when you connect the other 2 to the load side and it trips. There is a problem on recepticles(either something plugged in), and if nothing is plugged in and it trips, it it likely in wiring.
    If you are wiring Hot, they will trip, but once you put together, it should reset.
    The Newer GFI's will not Reset unless power is present. Could almost use the GFI as a Tester? Remove Power when You need too.
    Good Luck, Stay Safe, Take Care..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFI Wiring for spa [ 2 Answers ]

My friend is wiring a hot tub. He has a 40 AMP at the house and ran 8/3 from the house to the receptacle at the tub. He grounded the ground at the ground bar in the panel, and connected the like color wires directly to the tub at the recetacle box, 3 1/2 feet up from the floor. The GFI (a 50...

GFI outlet wiring [ 1 Answers ]

The gfi outlet has a Line and Load label on the back. Would the line be the hot wire coming in and the load be the powered wires going out to other electrical outlets?

GFI not working and affecting many other outlets [ 1 Answers ]

My home has a small portion of the basement that was finished prior to our purchase. I am led to believe that the wiring probably wasn't done by a professional. Upon inspection prior to purchase all was good, however, over the last several years I have had trouble with different unrelated outlets...

Gfi wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Can you connect two gfi to the same circuit breaker

Wiring GFI receptacle [ 2 Answers ]

Trying to wire a GFI receptacle at my kitchen sink. Receptacle in double gang box with a light switch. Original wiring consisted of two white wires to side of original receptacle. Two black wires to each terminal on the switch for a light over sink and a black jumper from switch to the...

View more questions Search