Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dangdang Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Can J1 and J2 file jointly?
    Hi,
    I am in J1 status and my husband in J2. He works and has his W-2. According to the treaty between China and US, I don't need to pay any tax. So in this case, can we file Form 1040NR jointly?
    Thank you for answering my question.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 07:42 AM
    You cannot file jointly on Form 1040NR, nor can some from China claim anyone as a dependent while on J-1 status.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

Court-Order to file Jointly, but spouse filed separately. [ 7 Answers ]

My friend is going through a divorce, and they had a court order to file taxes jointly. However, when my friend asked his wife about filing taxes together, and sharing the refund, she quickly filed taxes without him. Should he file taxes separately, or report it to the court that she broke...

Can F1 and H1 file taxes jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on F1 and my husband was on F1 and now he is on H1. But he has been on H1 only for 4 months. We have never filed taxes jointly. Can we file jointly for the year 2006?

Wanted to file taxes jointly, we are on J1/J2 visas [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on J1 visa, came to usa on 09/2004. I'm from India and a non resident both for tax purpose and immigration purpose. My wife who is on J2 visa worked for a little time in the year 2005. She stopped working as she was a pregnant, we had our baby on 12/22/05. Now we wanted to file jointly (as...

To file jointly or separately? Help needed please [ 1 Answers ]

Need help chosing best filing option for my wife and I. We live in NJ, I work in NYC, wife works in NJ. Is it better to file jointly or separately? NY taxes on NY income only, but does use total income (wife + mine) for rate base calculations. Wondering which filing options would be best... ...

View more questions Search