Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haukehaien Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Skimmer Pumps and Basement Flooding
    In an earlier post, an answer was given to a questioner who was having trouble with basement flooding:
    Q. I don't have a sump in my basement but am concerned about water leaking in. What can I do?
    A. You can push the water to the floor drain, but if water backs up in the floor drain or drains very slowly a pump is needed. Small pumps sometimes referred to as "skimmer" pumps are designed to sit on a flat surface and pump when water on the floor is only 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. They can often be used with a common garden hose. A 50-foot garden hose run out through a basement window will usually carry the water far enough away from the house. You can remove more water by taking the cover off the floor drain and placing the pump in the drain bowl -- these pumps are usually small enough to fit in the bowl. In emergencies where electric service is off, these pumps can be powered by a small gasoline generator.
    I have a problem with small amounts of water coming into my basement after heavy rains, and one of these "skimmer pumps" sounds ideal; doesn't anyone know where to get one? A Google search turns up a lot of things designed for pond use; are these the same sort of thing?

TIA.
    haukehaien Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
    After further research, the more common term for a skimmer pump is a floor-sucker pump. Found what I need.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 10, 2007, 09:53 AM
    I have an idea that will keep the basement much dryer and you won't have to push water around. The "floor sucker pump" leaves the floor wet but not standing. Try this site for de-watering info. You can order on the site or go to Menard's home store. Wet Basements Made Dry - Basement De-Watering Systems Home Page

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement flooding [ 1 Answers ]

Water seeps into my basement during and after heavy rains. And actually the water in the basement sort of seeps out of the basement after 12 to 24 hours of the end of the rain. Is this due to a rising water table, or to water build up in the dirt filled area around the foundation walls? Will...

Plumbing, basement flooding [ 3 Answers ]

Our basement floods when the water table rises, the water comes in through the cracks in the cement floor. If you drill holes in the side of the basement drain, will that permit the water to find it's way to the drain rather than coming up through the floor? We have a walk out basement, no sump...

Basement Flooding [ 3 Answers ]

We have a home which was built 6 years ago and we have a basement with a sump pump and backup sump pump. 9 months ago we had flooding due to the main sump going out. The backup could not keep up with the water flow. We had our original plumber come in (and builder) and he replaced the sump. ...

Basement Flooding [ 3 Answers ]

Just moved into a 100 year old home in New England, I had an alarm installed with a "flood" option... The alarm went off one early morning and I went downstairs to check the problem and found the basement was covered in two inches of water thanks to Spring thaw and a good deal of rain. It all...

View more questions Search