Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 08:39 PM
    Life insurance policy at risk with a bankrupted estate?
    My father passed away recently and name myself as the sole beneficiary to his life insurance policy. His estate is not worth anything when combined with his debt therefore we will be bankrupting it or letting the leinholder issue foreclosure and setting up the estate to bankrupt it. My question is can they come after me since I am the only one with any $? I've heard no from several sources but also heard that maybe they could.
    Anyone know for sure?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 08:57 PM
    If you are named as the beneficiary, no the money is not part of the estate and they can not come after that money.

Now can they try, of course they can always file and try, and hope you will just pay it out of fear, but no life insurance with a beneficiary is not part of the estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Search for life insurance policy [ 9 Answers ]

How can I find if a life insurance policy exists on a recently deceased parent?

Life Insurance Policy [ 2 Answers ]

My mother died on 9/22/06 and I was told she had a life insurance policy but have yet to find it. She was married to a man who was a drug addict but he never knew that she had one. What are the steps that I need to take to find one on her or to see if she ever had one? Please someone let me know...

Life insurance policy and trustees [ 2 Answers ]

My parents took out a life insurance policy for my father when they married 40 years ago. As far as my mother can recall they are both trustees and beneficiaries. They divorced 30 years ago and the communication between them is not good. Is my mother entitled to any of the policy payout even though...

Life insurance policy [ 3 Answers ]

Will the insurance company deduct any taxes on a life insurance policy? Is the year end taxable?

How to cash in a life insurance policy [ 6 Answers ]

I have a life insurance policy that is over 25 years old. I have the name of the insurance co. but I have no idea what the policy number is. Is there any way that I can locate the proper insurance co. without the policy number. Every time I type in the name of the insurance co. I get a list of all...

View more questions Search