Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alrightthen Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Can you add someone to your deed if you aren't married or family?
    Hi there,
    If anyone can provide some guidance on this I'd really appreciate it! I was wondering if it is possible to add someone to my deed who is not a family member? And then, to refinance the house/mortgage into both of our names? Thanks for any ideas!
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Yes, you can do that... just make sure you understand any tax implications, etc, if it could be considered a "gift". (Would probably depend on how much equity there is.)

Also... don't know what the relationship is between you and the person you want to add, but keep in mind that to "undo" this would require a sale or a buy-out. We see the opposite question to yours on here ALL the time... "How do I get someone OFF my deed?" So just make sure that you have an agreement in place (written) in the event one of you needs/wants "out".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding family member to deed? [ 1 Answers ]

I have joint ownership of my home with my elderly mother. I was considering adding my (only) sister to the deed of the home so that it would not have to go through any type of probate should anything happen to both my mother and I. From what I have read on this site, just adding a name to the...

Married, husband not on deed [ 2 Answers ]

What's the law in Michigan on Quit Claim Deeds if my husband is not on the Title or mortgage do I have to fill one out while we are getting divorced?

Not on deed to family home [ 1 Answers ]

mother passed away aprox 3 years ago and put her marrige to 3 years husband on deed now husband my father in law has died in February and his sons did a quick deed on home and has clean on the house and has put up for sale with out any consent for me at my mothers funeral we all agreeed that ken my...

Transfer deed from family trust to buyer [ 1 Answers ]

We have a buyer for our house who is willing to pay cash. How can we transfer title from our family trust to the buyer?

View more questions Search