Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AZMtnMan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 06:47 PM
    can I use pvc to for the overflow valve of a water heater
    The water heater in my house is in the middle of the structure, first floor. The over pressure valve is routed to a crawlspace under the house, not outside of the structure. I want to install a new water heater and put a drain-pan at the same time.

My plan was to run 2 drain lines, one from the drain pan, the other from the overpressure down into the crawlspace and then to an outside wall to prevent my crawlspace from being flooded if there was ever an issue. They would be routed out of the structure by cutting holes in a vent (not cutting holes in the concrete).

The total run is about 100ft (50ft x 2 lines) from the middle of the house to the outside wall, can I use pvc for these drain lines or is there other alternative to copper? I'm not sure if it matters but it does get cold in the crawlspace, not quite down to freezing but it can get close. All of the other pipes in the crawlspace are copper.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2009, 07:32 PM

I don't think it's allowed. Don't have a copy of the UPC to check. But, you cannot use PVC. CPVC is OK.

This explains what I know:
    Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve

I'm not sure what type of water heater you have, however, I might be more inclined to use the drain pan and use something like the Water cop to stop the low of water into the inlet of the heater.

Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve

You could still drain the pan to the outside.

There are some other safety systems available that can dal with the gas valve, etc.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 2, 2009, 08:00 PM
    No PVC. PVC cannot carry hot water. Use type M copper. However, you can use PVC if it is used for pan run off only.

In your situation, we are allowed to do one of the three things:

1. Run 3/4" copper T&P valve run off to the pan. Terminate this pipe about 2" above the bottom of the pan - but under the rim of the pan. Then, run 1" copper pipe from the pan to the outside. ( if T&P valve leaks, it will drip into the pan / pan will fill up and drain through pan run off line )

2. Combine 3/4" copper T&P valve run off pipe with 1" pan run off line. Run to the outside.

3. Run 3/4" T&P valve pipe to the outside. Run 1" pan run off to the outside

In Option 1 and 2 you will run only one run off pipe. But it has to be copper. This pipe has to terminate 6" above the ground.

In Option #3 you will run 1" PVC and one 3/4" type M copper - both to the outside. In this case, PVC can terminate above your window in the eve - but copper has to terminate 6" above the ground.

Hope that helps...
    AZMtnMan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 08:35 PM
    Thanks guys -- good to know that PVC is a no-go. I like options 1 or 2, it's less copper than I thought I had to buy, by half, so right there is a decent savings over what I'd planned to do. Also good to know about the 6" above ground termination also, I'd planned to terminate a little closer but can easily make that adjustment. Thanks again...
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Dec 2, 2009, 08:42 PM

Milo,

We aren't even allowed to use CPVC. But we are able to use those $3 metal headed plastic blow off pipes. The difference is that the plastic unit (which looks like sch 10 PVC) is rated for up to 105,000 BTU, the rating of the T&P valve, and it is listed. The CPVC one we make up is not listed for that application. Go figure. Type M copper is acceptable for one fabricated on site. We are allowed to use 1" PVC for the pan drain line though.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 3, 2009, 08:44 AM

can I use pvc to for the overflow valve of a water heater
    No! PVC isn't rated for hot water.
    We pipe our T&P valoves with Type "L" ridged copper. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater overflow [ 5 Answers ]

I have been told that I need an expansion tank and maybe even a pressure regulator on my water line. Could I install just the pressure reg on my water line into the tank? I have been told that my water line pressure is about 100psi. In this area of town. Is it a job for a plumber or could we do...

No Shut Off Valve between water heater and bathroom sink valve [ 14 Answers ]

I have a constant drip in my bathroom sink. After a little trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that my hot water valve underneath the sink is the culprit. I traced the pipe down the wall, into the basement and to the water heater. The only thing between the water heater and the old valve in...

Hot Water heater overflow [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I had the plumber raise the temperature of the water on the hot water heater. Since then, water has been coming out of the overflow tube on a consistent basis. Is there an easy way to remedy this on my own, or do I need to have the plumber come back?

Hot water heater overflow valve [ 9 Answers ]

The overflow valve on my hot water heater dripps several times a day. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Hot water heater overflow [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old house, when purchased the overflow valve of the hot water heater would leak water occasionally. Plumber came and installed a pressure relieve tank on the cold water line, problem solved until the last couple of weeks. Water again will come out of the overflow pipe every couple...

View more questions Search