Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    squirly_stub Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 12:42 AM
    Acer laptop - cd/dvd drive not working
    Hi, I have an acer laptop, it is almost 3 years old now, the computer still starts up and is very slow, so what I want to do is reload windows onto the system. The only problem that I have is that my cd/dvd drive doesn't read any disks!
    The computer still recognizes that it has a cd/dvd disk drive, when I check it out on device manager, it says that it is working properly, yet it doesn't read any disk!
    I have noticed that there is no SCSI / RAID controller installed on my machine, I have tried to install multiple kinds, but they never install properly.
    Could the SCSI / RAID controller help me, or am I waisting my time??
    How do I get my cd/dvd Drive to work properly??
    How do I reload windows??
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 08:38 AM
    The laptop should have the Recovery Files hidden on the computer itself somewhere.

On my laptop, I press F11 as soon as I turn on the laptop and it will bring up the Recovery Partition and allow me to reinstall Windows.

Check your laptop version number and the Acer website, you should find the technique for activating your Recovery Partition.

Alternately, you computer came with Recovery Discs, or gave you the option to create them when you first turned on the system. Again, if you haven't created them, you still can. Check with the Acer website and your model # to find the utility on your laptop to create them now.

BTW, make sure you back up all your data files, just in case. My Recovery Partition allows me to reinstall Windows without touching my data, or I can opt to essentially wipe my entire disc and reinstall the laptop back the original condition, called a FACTORY RESTORE.

Doing a Factory Restore on your laptop should solve your CD/DVD disc problem, too. If it doesn't, then the drive itself is faulty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Different sex drives [ 20 Answers ]

Can a long term relationship work when the boy has a VERY high sex drive with dirty/kinky fantasies and the girl has a low sex drive, who only enjoys love making sex?

2 xp os on 2 drives [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 drives with xp on each drive. How do I remove the os on one drive without screwing up the other drive?

Pen drives [ 2 Answers ]

My pen drive has a virus and to fix it I need to format it... I tried everything... but it says its write protected and cannot format.. Can anyone suggest any solutions to it and from where to get the software.. Thanks

Drives [ 5 Answers ]

I have 4 drives shown in PC (c, d, e, g) not including cd drive or floppy drive. Is there a way that I can have my computer show 1 drive; c:/?? And let that drive have the total memory of all four combined

View more questions Search