Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    necrus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Laptop keeps restarting
    Hi, my friend's laptop has a weird problem that started up just yesterday. Whenever she tries to turn on her laptop it starts up for about 3 seconds and then restarts. Then it continues to keep restarting over and over again.

I've already searched around but the two of us haven't found any solutions online thus far. So I decided to register here and see if anyone around here could help us out with this problem.

Her laptop is a hp pavilion dv9308nr notebook PC and it's running Windows Vista if that helps at all.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Sounds like a hardware issue, but how far into the boot process does it get? It may be as simple as something jiggering loose. Start with reseating memory modules and checking the hard drive connection; or send it in for service.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 14, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Also, working on the hardware theme, when was the last time you blew out the vents as they can easily become clogged with dust.
    Could well be an overheating issue.

I had an HP that did this sue to the heat sink becoming detached.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Is this My Computer is restarting continuously and not booting post the same laptop? If so, given that the problem has been getting worse (you don't have to cold boot from a true sleep), Curly's heat angle is more likely with perhaps component damage.
    necrus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros
    Is this My Computer is restarting continuously and not booting post the same laptop? If so, given that the problem has been getting worse (you don't have to cold boot from a true sleep), Curly's heat angle is more likely with perhaps component damage.
    Ah, yes. This is the same laptop. I didn't notice that she already posted here. So yeah, pretty much what she has said in her post is what has been going on. I'll try and report to her and see if any of the suggestions thus far help at all.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Also check your bios settings. There is an option in there for rebooting upon failure. Make sure that's set to " no ". Otherwise if your having a HD issue your stuck in a loop or if your having problems with " post ".
    rk7248 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 06:08 PM
    I doubt it has some virus, one solution is to restore the OS or restore it back to previous date.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

PC keeps on restarting after booting [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I have problem with my computer. It always restart after booting. I thought that if I reformat it, it would run normally again. But after hours of using it, it automatically restarted, then after booting it restarted again. What could probably be the cause of this problem? Is it the hardware...

CPU restarting by itself [ 7 Answers ]

My personal computer would sometimes restart (reboot) immediately after I have shut it down. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any trouble with its functions.

Windows keeps restarting [ 4 Answers ]

My windows keeps restarting itself.I think may be a virus but can't say for sure. Can Someone help out.. thanks

PC restarting [ 5 Answers ]

I have win xp PC.last weak am facing problem.am using my PC per day 12 hours. In this time 4 time PC autometic resart. I don't know what is a problem. Can you solve this things

View more questions Search