Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snupe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Bathroom sink has no water, but the rest of the house does
    I noticed today that the faucet in the bathroom doesn't have h or c water, but the rest of the house mainly the adjoining toilet, shower and faucet on the second all work. Can someone please provide some support? The plumber at Lowe's suggested that I shut off the supply lines for a few minutes then turn them back on and check the hot & cold and leave them on for minutes hours. Any thoughs?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Any chance that the supply pipes have frozen inside the wall? This would only happen if that area is an outside wall. If they are frozen, shut of your main an place a space heater near the open area below the sink. Do not use open flame to heat the pipes. After an hour or three, with you checking for safety every 30 minutes, open both H and C then open the main. If you get water they were probably frozen. Becareful at this point, if they froze they may also have broken or cracked. Watch and listen for leaks inside the wall and below.
    snupe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 03:47 PM
    This could be the case even if the bathtub and toilet are tied into the same supply lines
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2007, 04:53 PM
    No real reason to shut the main water off if you are around to catch any leak from a burst pipe. Any time you you do shut the main water off, you need to give the hot water tank an alternative for expansion unless you have an expansion tank. Leave the frozen hot and cold water on too. As soon as you thaw the pipes enough for the first trickle, if the faucet is open, the flowing water will quickly melt the rest of the ice. Just keep an ear on things.

Chances are the freeze is in the outside wall after where the bathroom supply branches off. You could open the vanity and apply a hair dryer to pipe coming out of the wall.
    finney18 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 05:09 PM

Why is there water everywhere EXCEPT at one sink in the house... IT has NO water at all
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 05:12 PM

Hi finney18...

Stop posting the question... we found all 3 of them... ;)

Either the shutoffs under the sink are shut or or it could also be as easy as the aerator at the faucet spout being clogged.

Easiest to check is the aerator. Remove it by unscrewing it clockwise... see image.

Once removed, check for water flow by turning the faucet on... check both hot and cold.

If water is present clear the aerator screens of any sediment and replace the aerator.

If no water present then you'll need to check that the shutoffs underneath are open. Turn the aerator counterclockwise to remove. If any drip develops at the stem/handle then you will need to tighten the PACKING NUT behind the handle a tweek or two...

Let us know how you make out... OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

JeremyGrant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2012, 10:47 AM
    Thank you massplumber2008!!

That fixed my problem!!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
    Glad if we helped, Jeremy!
    1nodner2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2013, 09:23 PM
    My husband had to change a hose on top of the water heater, then we had no water in the bathroom sink and had lower pressure in the kitchen. He was getting ready to shut off the main supply line but tried the aerator first & it worked! Thank you soooo much for your advice, you just saved us so much frustration and money. :)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 05:04 AM
    Thank you for posting the update, 1nodner2... always appreciated!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in the shower /sink in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I vetwo bathrooms server served by the same hot water tank from the attic. The master bed room bathroom doesn't get hot water in the sink or shower. Any clues ?

Smell coming from cold water in sink and bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I have spent a lot of money on my plumbing problem and still don't have an answer. We added a 2bedroom 1 bath addition onto our house. About a month after we started using the addition we began to have a sewer smell coming from the cold water. We removed alloy rod from water heater just in...

One bathroom sink in house smells like a sewer [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 2 story home, 1 year old, crawl space, no basement. Our main level 1/2 bath is the only bathroom in the house that smells like a sewer when the water in the sink is turned on. I can usually only smell it when the water is running, and it seems to be getting worse over time. We...

Hot water Trickles to Bathtup Tap only, Rest of house is fine [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, writing this from the UK as this seems to be the best plumbing board about, and as you can see, I hate plumbing. Basicall all my hot water taps are fine apart from the bathtub which barely gives a trickle (it does give something though). Now from reading up on here I suspet I have crud...

View more questions Search