Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StephyG Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Parental rights
    If a man gives up parental rights- does he have to pay child support?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 03:04 PM
    It depends on what state you are in. In most states yes, but in some no (unless arrears are owed but that is all that has to be paid). Indiana is one state that there is no support owed if he signs his rights over. The easiest way to know is to call an attourneys office you don't have to pay anything they can just tell you over the phone which way your state rules. Hope that helped.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 03:33 PM
    It will depend on why he is giving them up, First of course normally the judge will not allow you just to give them up. But if a person could get out of child support by giving up their rights plus unless both partners agree you can't just sign them over anyway.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 04:01 PM
    A father can only relinquish his rights if the mother is in agreement and she has a spouse to adopt the child in his place.

If that is the case, when the adoption is final, all current child support will stop. If there is back child support owed, that will still have to be paid unless the mother is willing to forgive that debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Take away Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am new on here and I read the sticky on Parental rights. But I still have a few questions as to how to do it and if we would be able to. First I live in Indiana. I am asking these questions pertaining to my step-daughters. My husband has had full custody of the girls since 2003. One girl just...

Parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I am a mother of 4.Two children by 1 father and two by another.I love them all but a lot of things have happened way too much to go into today I had my breaking point my 2 older children reside with their father and I have decided until they are older and can make their own choices I want to...

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to file to get my daughters father rights taken away because he has not seen her, does not want to see her, nor does he want anything to do with her. I live in the state of Texas and would like to know what forms I would need and how would I go about filing them.

Parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know where to get the form called (voluntary relinquishment of parental rights) My baby's biological mother wants nothing to do with her so I need her to sing this form... I can not find it anywhere... please helppppppppppppp!!

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother. I have a three year old daughter. Her father has never had anything to do with her and has never saw her. We had a DNA test a couple of months before she turned three, in which he scheduled a different appointment so he would not see her. He tells me he does not ever want to...

View more questions Search