Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NotFob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 05:35 PM
    I made money overseas.so should I declare it?
    In Nov 2007 I sold stocks in Europe for a gain of approx 15000. I wired it to my US account. The secrurities firm overseas does not report to the IRS. Should I declare this money and face the music or is there a very good chance that all this Fbar stuff will ignore a little fish like me and go after the big asset guys?
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2009, 07:01 PM

You should report it before the IRS finds out about it. They tend to be lenient when you bring the omission to their attention. If they find out about it without you telling them, they are much less lenient and much more distrusting.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 12:14 AM

On your tax return, you must delcare your worldwide income.
    For 2007, you need to file amended tax return. Report stock sales on schedule D (Form 1040). If you paid taxed in Europe, then you will file Form 1116 to claim foreign tax credit.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Agreed; report it by amending your 2007 return using Form 1040X and providing a Schedule D and Form 1116 if you paid taxes on the capital gain in Europe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas Money Transfer/Gift [ 50 Answers ]

I am employed in the US but not a US citizen. My mother, who is not a US citizen either and lives overseas, would like to gift me money by sending it as a wire transfer from her account overseas to mine in the US. Assuming the amount is between US $50K - $100K, what would be my IRS Tax...

Gifting money overseas [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to send money from my US Account to "my" account in a foreign country (I understand that I have to file Form FBAR). Then, I am going to gift money to my mom who is living in a foreign country. 1) Am I subject to any tax in the US? 2) In case I am subject to a gift tax in the US,...

What to do with 401K money from Overseas [ 1 Answers ]

I have closed my 401K plan in Australia and have a cheque to be deposited (Australian Dollars) What (If any) are the Tax implications for me here in the US :confused: Should I just place it in a CD, Savings account, Cheque account etc I am permanent legal resident of the US and all my...

View more questions Search