Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 05:15 PM
    More Antibiotics?
    Ok, here we go again. I swear I should just mail you guys my vet's $$$$. I can never get ahold of him... lol. Anyway, my dog has had infected anal glands twice in the past 5-6 weeks. He has been on antibiotics for approx. 3 weeks out of those 5-6 weeks. Well, guess what?? There still seems to be a issue with his glands. It really stinks. My whole house smells like butt and it's gross. What can I do?? I am so upset over the fact that this thing isn't clearing up. Some days it seems fine and others... yuck. I changed the food I was feeding him and added more fiber thinking that would help. Today he takes his last antibiotic, Cephalexin 250mg. Is it possible that these are just not enough for him. Maybe he needs a different kind or a stronger one?? I have a script for the same ones only 500mg. Can I give him mine or is that too strong? Please help if you can. Oh, and another thing... he also had a ear infection which I don't think is gone either. I can smell the infection and could the last time this happened. He has only had 2 ear infections in his life. The last time they gave him a red capsule but it was a different vet. I am really confussed and could really use your input. Thanks guys. Checks in the mail:p
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 05:36 PM
    My dog has had 2 ear infections since I got her a little over 3 years ago. She was prescribed otomax and an ear cleaner. I asked for oral antibiotics but the vet said it was not necessary, but he would take my money if I insisted. Both times it cleared right up. But I had to clean them every day and then put the ear meds in... or he said the med would not be effective. I will say that I did cheat after the first few days when I could no longer get gunk out of her ear. I just put the med in it with out the cleaning.

She did take cephalexin for a fungal skin infection, she weighs 14 pounds and was prescribed 250 mg 2 times a day. I read that they give 10 to 15 mg per pound of body weight. Of course I'm not sure that human med is exactly the same as animal meds. Another thing is that it might be too much for his liver or kidneys to handle, taking 500 mg right on top of the 25omg. I would contact the vet.

I did read an article about anal glands I think I will look for it and post it for you, if I can find it. It may or may not pertain to your dog's problem. *edit*Anal Problems in Dogs just click on the one that say's infected anal glands...
    Katz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Thanks bushg... any help will be much appreciated. On top of the antibiotics they gave me Mometamax to put into his ears as well. It's almost gone:confused: I don't know what to do but I will try again tomorrow to call the vet. Thanks again bushg. The anal gland thing is becoming a flippin mystery to me. Don't much know what to say about that except... phewwwww.
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Did they require you to clean out his ears daily? Also they will tell you that for really bad infections it somewtimes takes a few days after the antibiotics are gone for it to completely clear up.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 06:38 PM
    ''it somewtimes takes a few days after the antibiotics are gone for it to completely clear up.'' Wrong! It is quite important to continue antibiotics until the infection is wiped out. Otherwise, it makes the problem of antibiotic resistant strains worse. I have gone through enough ear infections in my Labs to know, and the problem is gone before I was told to stop the treatment. In some cases, if one antibiotic doesn't clear up the problem, the vet may try another. Ask about using your own left over. Maybe even take it along to show the vet. If they are tablets, you can cut them in half. It is a popular money saving technique to buy stronger tablets and cut them in two.

When my Aster was a puppy, I asked our vet and we ended up treating her limp with steroids left over from our friend's horse.
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Well I was told that the meds are still in the system even after they are stopped/finished and they contiue to work.. That it takes awhile for them to leave the body... maybe he was WRONG!
    tashamarie80 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Nov 20, 2007, 02:42 AM
    Medications do stay in the system and continue working after they are done, it is very important not to take too many antibiotics and to finish your prescribed amount, follow the directions carefully. If you take too many or stop before you are supposed to it can create medication resistant infections. As far as the anal gland infection, did the vet drain the glands? You may want to ask him or (another vet if you can't get a hold of yours) about clearing the gland.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

About the use of flea medicine and antibiotics [ 4 Answers ]

Buddhists teach respect towards all living things. Buddhists are expected to not kill or otherwise harm them. This teaching is clear when dealing with the killing, butchering and eating of animals. My question is how far down the animal chain of complexity does this teaching go. For example:...

Antibiotics for pneumonia [ 4 Answers ]

How long would it take for atibiotics given intreveniously to work on an elderly patient who was frail and weak?

Antibiotics.how long before they should work? [ 2 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with Quinsy (abcess on the tonsil) 2 days ago. I got a shot in the butt, and have been prescribed Penicillin V 500mg (2 caps twice daily). It is now 48 hours since I started the meds, and I have only a slight decrease in pain and discomfort. My tonsil appears to be less swollen,...

Taking antibiotics with juice [ 3 Answers ]

I went to the doctor on Monday and discovered I have a urinary tract infection. So, the doctor put me on antibiotics, and she told me to take 3 pills on my first dose, then two, and one on the final pill, which I've been doing. My only question is, can I take these with something other than water,...

Antibiotics [ 1 Answers ]

?? Please can you tell me what the worse side affects are for metronidoze 200mg are as I'm really scared to take them but I know I have to.

View more questions Search