Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JDaveG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Breaking Loose Rusted Galvanized Pipes
    I need to break a rusted galvanized pipe joint that is used is used for yard watering system. Is there any compound that can be applied to the metal that will make it easier? I haven't been able to get it to move with 14 inch pipe wrench. Next I'm going to try to rig up a cheater with a length of pipe fitted over the wrench handle.

Thanks, Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Load the threads up with WD-40 and put a "cheater on your pipe wrench. Good luck, tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JDaveG
    I need to break a rusted galvanized pipe joint that is used is used for yard watering system. Is there any compound that can be applied to the metal that will make it easier? I haven't been able to get it to move with 14 inch pipe wrench. Next I'm going to try to rig up a cheater with a length of pipe fitted over the wrench handle.

Thanks, Dave
    Sometimes you can break up the ancient doping compounds in the threads by trying to lightly tighten the joint first before backing it out.
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

May 20, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Try tapping the joint with a hammer. Not to hard or it will break the pipe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rusted Bolts on Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to fix my toilet and need to remove the tank. Unfortunately the bolts are rusted and stripped so I can't remove the nuts/bolts. What should I do?

3 Inch Cleanout Threads Rusted [ 1 Answers ]

I can not get a new 3 inch cap to screw into my cast iron clean out opening. I cleaned tit with a dremmel wire brush and WD40. Still a new plug will not start, the old plug will start and go in a ways. Is there a way of repairing these threads or are thiere different thread tyoes? The pipe was...

Getting corroded pipes loose [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are putting in a new fixture in our shower/bath combo, got everything in order now, but one pipe that we cannot get loose. My husband is a big guy that has the man power, but I think that it might have something to do with the pipes being corroded. Does anyone know of any tricks...

Washer hose rusted on [ 1 Answers ]

My brother in law just bought an old house, from the 50's. As they were installing the new washer they noticed the old cold water hose was rusted on to the vavle. After numerous attempts with WD40 two pipe wrenches and two guys the thing still has not budged. In an attempt to possibly screw off...

Dyi rusted toilet flange? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toilet flange on a 4" cast iron pipe (c. 1955) that has rusted away to the extent that the flange lip has broken away, so the toilet bolts have nothing to hold on to. The flange is cast iron, the pipe appears to be cast iron. I can get to the pipe from under the floor but not the top...

View more questions Search