Ask
    Lkn4aBargain Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2009, 11:38 AM
    No Lavatory Vent pipe in Attic
    Oct 25, 2009, 10:43 PM
    Lkn4aBargain
    New Member Join Date: Oct 2009

Sewer Smell in Bathroom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a Sewer Smell in my Bathroom which I think it comes from the Bathtub, I had my Septic Tank Pumped, it was Full, it liked Gushed out when he removed the Lid. But the same day after being pumped, when I flush the toilet it still gurgles in the bathtub, and then the smell, but it doesn't do it every time. They snaked my vent on top of the house, and also ran a Garden Hose in it. Didn't seem to be blocked. Then after a few weeks someone suggested to open the cleanout, between the House and the Septic Tank, that there may be a Blockeage there, the cleanout is in my Basement, but before doing that someone said to Dig the Septic Tank up again open the lid to make sure it isn't full again, and that was done and the Tank was not full. So that cleanout was snaked. Not Blocked.
    I had put a new Tile Floor in My Bathroom, and a New Tall Boy Toilet, about 6 month's ago. My daughter says that is when it all Started.? I do know that when I Flush this toielt it is really Fast Flush, just like Whoosh!! And then the Bathtub start's gurgling... Then the Smell. But it isn't every time. I am at my Whit's End!! Please Help!
    It hadn't been to bad the last Couple of day's... But Today it is Horrible... I have to leave the bathroom window open, Close the door and Put Towel's up against the door.. Any Help will be Truly Appreciated!!

Lkn4aBargain
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by Lkn4aBargain

#2 Oct 26, 2009, 08:45 AM
    speedball1
    Senior Plumbing Expert Join Date: Jan 2003

The gurgle tells me the toilet's attempting to vent through the tub trap. The suction produced by this action is pulling water out of the trap allowing sewer gas to enter your home. The solution would be to snake the lavatory roof vent. If you only have a single vent coming out of your roof then the plumber snaked the wrong vent. The correct lavatory vent will be found up in your attic revented back into the main roof vent. He will have to disconnet the lavatory vent and snake it from then attic.
    Good luck, Tom

Speedball1
    In response to your advice for me, I went up in the Attic to Snake the Lavatory vent but there is only 1 vent pipe coming out of the basement into the attic and it has 2
    90 degree turns in it, midway into the attic, but no other vent pipe connected to it. Do you think by any Chance it could be my toilet that I had put in? I had a tile floor put in and a New Tall Boy toilet. I just want to try anything I can before calling A Plumber and a Backhoe out check the Field Line . Thank You Janice
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 1, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Now would be a good time to ask. How old is your house. The traps, Do they go into the wall or into the floor? When you're in the attic is there a pipe coming up from the bathroom? It's not your toilet that causes the gurgle it's a lack of venting. Cheers, Tom

Nov 1, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Now would be a good time to ask. How old is your house. The traps, Do they go into the wall or into the floor? When you're in the attic is there a pipe coming up from the bathroom? It's not your toilet that causes the gurgle it's a lack of venting. Cheers, Tom
    My House was built in 1987, so 22yrs.

The trap for Bath Tub goes through the floor, I can see it in the Basement, for the Toilet it goes straight into Septic Line, as the toilet sets directly above the line, sink trap is under sink, and all connect into the main line that goes directly into the septic tank, right before the Main line goes through the wall into Septic tank, the Vent line, connects into the top of the Main line.
    I can see all the Plumbing in the Basement. I can send Pictures of the Plumbing if that would Help? Thank You Janice
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 2, 2009, 07:36 AM
    When you're in the attic do you see a pipe coming up directly above where the vanity sets? Let me know, Tom

Nov 2, 2009, 04:44 PM
    When you're in the attic do you see a pipe coming up directly above where the vanity sets? Let me know, Tom
    No Pipe other than the one vent pipe going through the roof, I had a guy go back up in the attic to make sure. My vent pipe that goes through the rook runs right beside the chimney flu and you can see it from the attic to basement, nothing connected to it.
    Also today when I took a shower, I kept the water in the tub, to see if it would drain fast, when I let the water out, it did drain fast but was making a gurgling sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Lkn4aBargain View Post
    No Pipe other than the one vent pipe going thru the roof, I had a guy go back up in the attic to make sure. My vent pipe that goes thru the rook runs right beside the chimney flu and you can see it from the attic to basement, nothing connected to it.
    Also today when I took a shower, I kept the water in the tub, to see if it would drain fast, when I let the water out, it did drain fast but was making a gurgling sound.?

Speedball, thought pictures might help??
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Nov 4, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Also today when I took a shower, I kept the water in the tub, to see if it would drain fast, when I let the water out, it did drain fast but was making a gurgling sound.
    This is a classic case of a clogged vent. You tub's attempting to vent through the trap. The gurgle you hear is air being pulled through the trap.
    Also, whoever piped your house turned your tubs "P" trap into a "S" trap. The trap should have been lowered and connected to the drain horizontally . The vent that I question would be the bath sink vent. Does the bath sink drain go into the wall or go through the floor? Let me know, Tom

Nov 4, 2009, 07:47 PM
    This is a classic case of a clogged vent. You tub's attempting to vent through the trap. The gurgle you hear is air being pulled through the trap.
    Also, whoever piped your house turned your tubs "P" trap into a "S" trap. The trap should have been lowered and connected to the drain horizontally . The vent that I question would be the bath sink vent. Does the bath sink drain go into the wall or go through the floor? Let me know, Tom

The Pipe goes straight through the floor to the main pipein the Basement, This is a Picture Under the Vanity. You can see the Bathroom Pipe in the Other Picture of the Basement Plumbing, how it goes straight in, I have it labeled.
    Thank You So much for Helping me on this. I do Appreciate it.
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2009, 05:38 AM
    The reason you can't find a lavatory vent is because you dom't have one. Whoever repiped your house left you with "S" traps. Since "S" traps are illegal this job could never been permitted or inspected.
    Both your trub and your bath sink are unvented. Running back from the two connections what else is draining into that line? Regards, Tom

Nov 5, 2009, 01:29 PM
    The reason you can't find a lavatory vent is because you dom't have one. Whoever repiped your house left you with "S" traps. Since "S" traps are illegal this job could never been permitted or inspected.
    Both your trub and your bath sink are unvented. Running back from the two connections what else is draining into that line? Regards, Tom
    The Kitchen Sink is also connected to this pipe that goes into the septic.
    Washer does not go into Septic.

What do you suggest that I have done?
    I put Bleach down the Bathtub and Bath sink night before last, let it set over night, then Poured Boiling water in tub and sink, it hasn't had the smell yesterday or today so far...

Nov 5, 2009, 01:31 PM
    The pipe in the first picture Coming from the right is the Kitchen Sink drain.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Does the kitchen sink trap go into the wall or the floor? I'm trying to understand your drainage lay out before I can give you a solution. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attic vent and vent pipe leaks through roof [ 7 Answers ]

Hello: I have water leaking down through the attic vents and white PVC vent pipes. What is the best way to repair these leaks? Can repairs be made from inside the attic? Should the vents be replaced (they are plastic)? Thank you!:(

Bubbles from lavatory overflow vent [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We are on the second story of a new building. Sometimes when we wash our hands, bubbles from the hand soap overflow back out of the overflow vent. I don't think this is an issue, but I have been asked numerous times why this is happening. Is this something I should be concerned...

Should attic vent pvc pipe be cut off and dripping? [ 9 Answers ]

We noticed a ceiling stain below our attic, so we looked in our attic and saw the pvc pipe coming straight down from the roof then it runs horizontally with the ceiling and then it is cut-off. Just below where it is cut is where the stain is at. Is it normal for the pipe to be cut? Is it normal...

NO VENT in new lavatory? [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a cheap combination bath vanity cabinet and solid "cultured marble lavatory top" at THE well known "Big Box Home Improvement Store"... I now find that the sink part has NO drain VENT. HOW do I properly VENT a system like this and use it without the "gurgle, gurgle... bubble, bubble...

Types of pipe for shower and lavatory. [ 5 Answers ]

My house was built in the 60's using clay sewer piping. I want to move an existing shower and lavatory and would rather use PVC if allowed. Is there a specific type to be used for drains on either the shower and lavatory and will I be able to tie into existing piping? Thank you Dwayne

View more questions Search