Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gnarayan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Filing 1040A as an Indian citizen
    Hi,
    I'm a citizen from India studying in the US on an F1 visa since August 2001. In 2005 I moved to grad school and remain on an F1 visa but from the new institution.

I'm confused about some of the tax consequences this stay has -

Since I've spent more than 5 years here I am a resident alien for tax purposes and have to file the 1040A
    I no longer need to file the Form 8843 detailing the number of days I've been present here
    I have to file the Form 8863 to claim educational credits from my form 1098-T
    Are the above correct or am I mistaken and if so what do I do?

Also my Form 1098-T has a tick box indicating that the amount from box 2 (amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses) includes amounts for an academic period beginning Jan-March 2007. What, if anything, should I do about that?

Finally, is the gross income on my 1042-S in any way connected to box 1 Wages and Tips on my W-2 and similarly the tax withheld boxes. There numbers disagree. The 1042-S numbers are less than the W-2. What do I do with a 1042-S when filing form 1040A.

Is there anything else I am missing.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 02:37 PM
    You are correct about how to file your tax return.

Do nothing about the Form 1098-T.

If you received a Form 1042-S that had withheld taxes, then this is considered taxable income which must be reported either on the WAGE line of Form 1040 or 1040A or as OTHER INCOME on Lne #21 of Form 1040.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inclusion of Indian salary for filing US tax [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am in US on L1 along with my wife (L2) since Aug 29, 2006. I am getting US salary here since that time. Before coming to US I was getting indian salary for which I have paid taxes in India. In my W2, only US salary is mentioned. My wife is not earming any income in US. 1. Do I file as a...

F-1 student filing 1040A, got 100% tax return. Did I cheat? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm an international student on F-1 Visa. For the year 2003-2004, I worked on campus, and filed form 1040NR-EZ and only partial refund of tax withheld. For the year 2004-2005, I went on taxAct.com and filed 1040A, and was able to get a 100% refund. This year, I do not know which form to...

F1-OPT-H1B(Indian citizen) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Need some help with my tax situation. Citizenship:India Came to US: Aug 2002 Have been in US since then. Worked on OPT status from March 2005 to September 2005

Taxes for Indian Citizen on H1 in US [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen from India. I am currently on H1 visa. I have been on H1 since 2003. Which tax form should I file? Am I allowed to be treated as non resident under tax treaty and file NR form? Last year I was a dual status but instead filed 1040 EZ. I think I could have filed 1040 NR...

View more questions Search