Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    micblock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2010, 05:38 AM
    Where is the anode rod in a 50 gallon electric Kenmore water heater
    I have a bad rotten egg smell. In the past I removed the rod in other water heaters, smell was gone I can't find this one. Whatttttttttttt how do I get rid of the smell?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 23, 2010, 02:35 PM
    Hi Micblock...

If you don't see the traditional anode rod nut on the top of the water heater then it is highly likely that the magnesium anode rod is directly connected to the HOT water nipple... see image below. You will need to remove the HOT water nipple and replace with a new regular dielectric nipple to be done with this.

That being said, they also make anode rods from other materials (zinc, aluminum, etc.) that you should probably consider installing in place of the magnesium anode rod... will increase the years of use you get from the water heater. Check your local plumbing supply store for more info.

Finally, if you have a water softener that includes the water pipe that feeds cold water to the water heater then consider piping a cold water supply prior to the water softener to feed the water heater... should reduce the odor issue.

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heater with zinc coated anode rod [ 6 Answers ]

I have well water and my hot water smells just nasty, do I need to replace the zinc coated anode rod? Should I just replace my hot water heater? What about the new kind of hot water heater that heat on demand? Thanks Mary~

Is a 60 amp breaker too much for a 40 gallon electric water heater? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a tankless water heater installed and after a lot of trouble with it, it died. So, I want to go back to a regular tank water heater. Can I hook it up to the existing electric service to the tankless, which is really big: two pole 60 amp breaker with a 6 or 8 wire? I have the feeling that...

Kenmore Water Heater Anode Location [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 6 Gallon Kenmore Electric 153.317632 and the anode is bad (smell of rotten eggs). The anode is not located on the top. Any ideas on where to check? The heater is about 7 years old. Thanks,

Electric Hot Water Heater - replacing anode rod [ 3 Answers ]

What is the procedure for replacing the anode that is screwed into the top of an electric hot water tank? In theory it's supposed to be easily replaced, but in real life getting any fitting unscrewed after many years can be a risky. Any tricks or just brute strength? I haven't change it. I...

View more questions Search