Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NH4P Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Leaking Tub
    I filled my tub up with water and lysol to clean. I end up forgetting about the water in the tub. When I remembered the water and lysol was in the tub I found the water was gone. A few hours later I went to the garage and smell lysol then realized that the ceiling in the garage was wet. The shower and the tub is separate and I've used this tub approximately two times. Please provide some suggestions of what could be the problem.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Nov 19, 2008, 07:18 PM

Sounds like the seal between the drain and the tub is gone. It usually is done with plumbers putty and can dry out over time. Is this tub and drain old? It also could be one of the joints in the drain which could only be found by opening the access panel and inspecting it. Once things have dried out it will be easier to find than when everything is soaked. Get it done though, leaks like this will cause major destruction over time.
    NH4P Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 07:38 PM
    This home is only a couple years old and I'm the first occupant. I called out a plumber who indicated that something needed to be tightened through the drain and did so with some sort of tool. I afraid to use the tub because I don't know if the problem is fixed, but guess that would be the only way to see! Do you know what the tool and the problem he is describing?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 07:46 PM

Use the tub. The drain seal may have been too loose and the plumbers thinking is he has it fixed. Using the tub will prove or disprove him right, go ahead. Plumbers have all sorts of wrenches a home owner will never need, some are made or adapted by the plumber. Take it for a ride.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my oil leaking? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2002 fod taurus with about 110000 miles on it and just today after driving to work I had noticed oil under my car, a lot of oil. I checked the oil level and I lost about two quarts after driving maybe 10miles and parking. I moved my car from the one space with all the oil and into a new...

Leaking Tub [ 21 Answers ]

Hey all.. I need some help. I noticed today some water in between my tiles near the drain of my tub (not on the other end). We had our tub installed probably 3 or 4 years ago I think now. Anywhoo, I looked at the other end of the tub (I have a piece of "wall" there right now I can move until I get...

Leaking [ 4 Answers ]

We had been hearing running water near our kitchen sink, and the water meter dial had been turning constantly. The water bill jumped from fifty to eighty dollars.We called in a plumber who said we have a leak. He put nitrogen and helium into the pipes,so he would be able to hear exactly were the...

View more questions Search