Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davisbo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 10:34 PM
    Legal Action
    I have a tenant that, as of 2/1/09, is three months behind in rent. I spoke with him on 1/15/09, date late charge goes into effect. He informed me he would pay on 1/20/09. 1/15/09 was the last time I saw or spoke with him. The rental property is next door and I haven't seen anyone there since 1/15/09. I checked to see if they had moved but all items are still there. I delivered a notice to pay or quit notice on the door on 1/31/09 and gave them until 2/10/09 to pay or leave. Can I put them out after the 10th?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 06:45 AM
    If they haven't paid or moved out by the 10th then you have to file a lawsuit for eviction. Once you win a judgment then you can have the constable or sheriff perform an eviction. Only the constable or sheriff can legally "put them out".
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Hello d:

For a listing of what you CAN and CAN'T do, check out your state landlord tenant laws... It'll REALLY help you run your business. They are the RULES of the landlord business, after all.

We have a copy of them right here at the top of the real estate page on a sticky note.

excon
    lawistheword09 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 11:25 AM
    What you have to do is go to the court, district and file for unpaid rent. You will then be set a court date and depending on the county and state it could be in a week to 30 days. In court the judge will ask if rent has been paid and you will receive judgement for unpaid rent as well as court cost. Then you have to go and file for eviction. They are allotted so many days to pay the unpaid rent + court charges. You do not have to except anything less. Again depending on county and state the eviction could happen in a week to 3 weeks. You make contact with usually the sheriffs department and ask what day they will serve them with eviction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it too late for legal action? [ 14 Answers ]

We joined a travel club in July this year. It sounded like a great way to be able to save at the time. It was one of these "sign today as you will never be invited to join again" deals. I feel so stupid for having fallen for this. Since then, the company has "closed its membership" and is...

Would you take Legal Action for Slander? [ 8 Answers ]

First, I need to tell the entire story so that you may get a feel of what's going on. About a month and a half ago I applied for an Assistant Managers position at one of the larger grocery stores in my city. I interviewed for the position and a few days later they called and made me a job...

Is there any legal action I can take? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's biological father has never been a part of her life. Ya, he was around her for a few months here and there, only because we share common family members by marriage. No, we are not related. She was 2 yrs old when paternity test were done. A month after the paternity papers he got...

View more questions Search