Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    piaget17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2010, 08:21 AM
    HIPAA violationi
    My doctor's office put their printer and fax machine on their low wheel chair accessible counter. I could easily just reach anyone's lab results coming in without their knowledge as there is a wall between that checkout counter and the other where a person actually sits. The front check-ins line of site is obscured by this wall also. Isn't that a violation to have everyone's privacy within easy reach of anyone?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 21, 2010, 05:20 PM

First, I have moved your question to a thread of its own. It's not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's.

Now, to answer your question as it is actually stated...

No, this is not a HIPAA violation. If you were to reach over and grab the lab results you could be charged with theft.

As long as the results are not being posted for the public to see there is no violation here.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2010, 05:25 PM

I agree that there is no HIPAA violation. However, I think you should express your concerns about the potential for a breach in privacy with the office manager.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa... [ 1 Answers ]

If a company was found guilty of a hipaa violation can the person who's rights were violated still presue legal action? Just a quick question.

Hipaa [ 2 Answers ]

I had a miscarriage last week. The hospital registration person called my mother and father and told them she was calling from pre-op and needed to speak to me right away about my "procedure" the next day. It was no real emergency, just the regular pre-op stuff. I did not plan to tell anyone I was...

Hipaa [ 18 Answers ]

Can a manager pull employee patient chart research the chart call the pharmacy using my date of birth and name getting list of my medications that I take and share this information with other co-workers with my patient chart in view for the other co-workers to see, can she take employee personnel...

Hipaa violation? [ 4 Answers ]

During a group casual meeting, medical information was disclosed to the group from an individual, is this a hipaa violation? Would this be considered a civil or criminal penalty?

Hipaa [ 2 Answers ]

My Husband was referred to a Nurologist from a stand in dr to test for nerves all test came back normal but she wanted him to get a second opion. In the mean time he had to go to the Company dr for a DOT physical which he past all of his exam but the dr. informed him in his records to the...

View more questions Search