Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letitbe1111 Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Jul 5, 2010, 06:04 AM
    Dog is causing rift in relationship.
    Okay, I've been with my new boyfriend for about 1.5 months. It's been good, but we live far from one another, so I have to bring my dog to his house. It's been tense. At my house my dog is allowed on furniture and he's a little needy. At bf's place, I keep him off the furniture or he is allowed to jump up as long as he's on a blanket. The boyfriend is usually nice to him, but frequently seems annoyed. Also, my little dog is a little stinky in the summer, no matter how much I wash him. The boyfriend last night called him a jerk because he was sniffing in the wild grasses near his house. That's normal dog behavior. Then at night, the dog fell asleep on the bed because the boyfriend wasn't there. He slept on a blanket and not the comforter or anything, but the boyfriend got very huffy. My dog is very important to me and while I'm sympathetic to my boyfriend, I'm also feeling bad for the dog. He's not used to the routines and the rules are not defined. What to do?

Also, boyfriend is very rude to me at night. It hurts my feelings and this morning I snapped back and said some mean words to him. (Okay really mean!) then I just packed up and left. On my way out, he only said, make sure you take your dog!

I hate that I acted like a two year old, but I was exhausted and tired of him talking in a mean way to me and making me feel bad about my dog. (he's actually very sweet and usually people love him).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2010, 06:20 AM

Hello let:

You're a dog lover, and he ISN'T. That ain't going to work.

excon
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 07:13 AM

What happens when your boyfriend stays at your place?

From your post it doesn't sound like you are the type of owner who thinks their pup is a baby and you have tried to compromise with your boyfriend while staying at his place.

You and your dog need to find someone more open to liking both of you. I would dislike seeing this persons reaction if you dog got sick and you were worried about it or if you got sick and needed help taking care of the dog. I don't think you would like his reaction either.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 08:08 AM

Not everyone loves dogs.
    I'm an animal lover and my pets come first, so I would not be with someone who does not love animals. That is a choice for me to make.
    You and this guy are just not compatible. You can't make someone like dogs.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2010, 08:29 AM

Get rid of the boyfriend... you can find another one... keep the little doggy.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 05:58 PM

Why are you subject your poor dog to this fellow?
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2010, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Why are you subject your poor dog to this fellow??
    Tal... lol... poor doggy:)
    LJDK Posts: 281, Reputation: 25

Jul 5, 2010, 11:32 PM

I love animals, although some dogs are extremely annoying. My soon to be sister in law has a dog, one of those attention demon type always wanting to be petted and stuff.

I can only tolerate so much. My fiancé, her mom and her sister were all mad at me because I couldn't take it anymore, this thing constantly at my feet jumping all in my face and licking me the whole time. Eventually I snapped and kicked that little thing over the entire living room.

Was great fun. Moral of the story, some dogs are just horrible, that were spoiled way too much when young and now wants to get up all in your face.

Is your dog one of those? Or is it the nice kind that is satisfied after you pet it a few times and then proceeds to do its own thing?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2010, 12:15 AM

I had a post in this thread. Where did it go?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LJDK View Post
    Eventually i snapped and kicked that little thing over the entire living room.

Was great fun.
    You should be ashamed of yourself. That's sick, just plain abuse. It's a miracle this girl will still marry you!
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 09:48 AM

There are some people out there that just don't understand dogs and dog lovers.

Since it's obvious that you're a dog lover and he isn't, I think you'd be wise to move on.

Find yourself a nice guy that loves dogs as much as you do.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LJDK View Post
    I love animals, although some dogs are extremely annoying. My soon to be sister in law has a dog, one of those attention demon type always wanting to be petted and stuff.

I can only tolerate so much. My fiance, her mom and her sister were all mad at me because i couldnt take it anymore, this thing constantly at my feet jumping all in my face and licking me the whole time. Eventually i snapped and kicked that little thing over the entire living room.

Was great fun. Moral of the story, some dogs are just horrible, that were spoiled way too much when young and now wants to get up all in your face.

Is your dog one of those? Or is it the nice kind that is satisfied after you pet it a few times and then proceeds to do its own thing?

... dude, what's the matter with you? Hope a bigger guy kicks you around.
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2010, 10:49 AM

I'm glad you love the little dog so much...

Jul 9, 2010, 03:49 PM

After leaving last weekend, we never spoke again. I am relieved. I will not ever try to contact him. He's not as bad as the guy who kicked the dog (terrible), but clearly I am a dog person and he is not.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jul 9, 2010, 03:56 PM

All is well that ends well.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2010, 06:46 PM
    QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]
    Send him some kibble&bits for Christmas.:D

Jul 9, 2010, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    QUOTE=;]
    Send him some kibble&bits for Christmas.:D[/QUOTE]

Kitkat, you are wicked, wicked, wicked! I love it! :p
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2010, 09:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letitbe1111 View Post
    Send him some kibble&bits for Christmas.:D
    Kitkat, you are wicked, wicked, wicked! I love it! :p[/QUOTE]

Aw shucks:o Thank you:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my brother to move to out without causing a big family rift? [ 4 Answers ]

So in Nov 2008 my brother was getting a divorce I told him he was more than welcome to stay here to get back on his feet since his ex-wife received their house. Well after he moved in he was hurt at work and had to have knee surgery. He then got back to work to have a motorcycle accident. In the...

Another rift in the Climate Change ranks [ 11 Answers ]

It seems the idea that man can affect the outcome in dealing with climate change is rapidly coming apart, even the guy who started the idea of global warming says nothing will be achieved at Copenhagen because the approach is fundamentally flawed Global warming 'godfather' goes cold on...

Relationship problems in 2nd week of relationship [ 5 Answers ]

I'm hoping I can get some meaningful advice on my situation. If not, I really don't know what to do. The whole summer, a girl I work with had been trying to hook me up with this friend of hers who was interested in me. I saw a picture of her, and she was cute.. But everyone is cute, so if I...

Ex girlfriend causing severe depression.( Long distance relationship) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I know many of you will read this and think its ridiculous for me to feel this way... but here goes. So in April of 2007 I went on a cruise, I was 17 years old. A few days into the cruise I met this beautiful girl at the front of the ship. She was out there alone. I walked by and I just kept...

View more questions Search