Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alfred Arnold Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 07:44 AM
    Can a Towing Co. Just Sell My Van Without Contacting Me?
    I rented a car from Hertz and left my Van in the parking lot. The lot is shared with other businesses. One of the businesses had my Van towed from the lot. When I returned to get my Van three months later, the Van was gone. When I contacted the towing co. they told me they sold the Van. At no time did they contact me by mail or any other means. I think this wrong. I just filed a Small Claims against them and their lawyer is trying to say I abandoned the Van and that I owe them money for fees. What are my rights in Kentucky. I can't afford to retain a lawyer to battle their lawyer what can I do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 31, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Arnold View Post
    I rented a car from Hertz and left my Van in the parking lot. The lot is shared with other businesses. One of the businesses had my Van towed from the lot. When I returned to get my Van three months later, the Van was gone. When I contacted the towing co. they told me they sold the Van. At no time did they contact me by mail or any other means. I think this wrong. I just filed a Small Claims against them and their lawyer is trying to say I abandoned the Van and that I owe them money for fees. What are my rights in Kentucky. I can't afford to retain a lawyer to battle their lawyer what can i do?
    Three months... sure they could sell it... why did it take you three months to go looking for it? No.. they don't have to go looking for you... you are supposed to go looking for them. Where did you get the idea you could just leave your van on someone else's property for three months? When would YOU consider a vehicle someone parked on your property and left there abandoned? I'd have it towed the next day. Hell if it was someone's car in my driveway.. it would sit there just as long as it took a tow truck to get there and haul it off. And not a minute longer.

If your van got less money at auction than the impound fees owed on it were.. they can sue you for the differnce too.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2012, 08:29 AM
    Was this parking lot a approved lot that Hertz approved ? Did you have their rental car rented for 3 months, Normally they will give you a parking pass, was one provided ?

The vechile left in the parking lot, was it titled in your name ? The title, is it in your current address ?

But depending on state law, no they do not have to contact you, they hold it for so long, and when the storage fees are normally worth more than the car, they sell them. ( or a time frame set up by state law)

You merely have to show your car was parked where you were told to park by the rental car company, and that you had a rental car rented for those three months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Towing capacity [ 1 Answers ]

What is the towing capacity of a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 liter v8 engine 4 wheel drive ?

Towing my honda [ 1 Answers ]

Can I tow my 1995 honda with all four wheels down with my motor home ?

Towing question [ 3 Answers ]

I need a 62 foot single wide mobile home transported to my mountain property temporarily. I have never done this before, we are using the trailor as temp residence while we build our cabin home. I have no idea who to call to tow this mobile home from the seller to my property. I have no clue as to...

View more questions Search