Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bindao63108 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Should I get crowns
    My dentist suggested me to do crowns on the following 3 teeth and they are the last three teeth on the bottom right (I don't have the adult tooth). I need help to make a go decision.

1. to replace a chipped old crown.
    I had a rootcannel years ago and about five years ago they had to drill down on the crown for some treatment. Due to that procedure, the crown chipped about two years ago. And it hasn't really bother me much. I have been experiencing slight tooth ache that comes and goes for a few years but couldn't tell which tooth is bothering me (one of the three). It never hurts much though so it actually never really bothered me much.

2.to get a crown on a sensitive tooth.
    I've always had sensitive teeth and it's been years. I noticed there is one that really get sensitive whenever I am eating an apple. That's why I can't eat apples and the funny things is that I can't hear other people or my kids eating apples as it will give me tooth ache :(. And my dentist said that I would need a crown for it or possible root cannel which will be determined once he opens it up.

3.to get a crown on a tooth that has a large filling.
    The filling was done long long time ago and I couldn't even remember when it was done. I never give me any problems as I can remember since. My dentist is saying that since the filling is large and it is better to get a crown to hole the tooth before something happens.

Those three tooth are contacted to each other and my slight tooth ache from time to time is caused by one of them but figuring out which one is the issue. Each crown will cause me $400 or so out of pocket. I don't mind paying for them but not sure if this is the right thing to do. Please help!!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 13, 2007, 02:24 PM
    I had my bridges and crowns done in Toledo OH many years ago. It helped working at the time for an endodontist who referred me to an oral surgeon. I maintain my teeth and see my dentist every six months, but you know what, the crowns and bridges I had done over 30 years ago, I still have. So if you want my recommendation I would say go for it and the price of $400. Is unbelievable too as far as I am concerned. But just remember, regular maintenance is key to keeping them.

I would suggest you ask about bridges though, it means you will have to floss regularly but they may actually be more comfortable for you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 03:11 PM
    My molars were terrible. I have no idea how many times I have had the fillings replaced in many of them. I now have crowns or bridges for all but one of them. Half of the next to the last tooth and its large filling broke off last summer. I will be getting a crown on the last one as soon as next years dental benefits kick in. I had a 3 tooth bridge and a crown this year in addition to routine care.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Teeth with large fillings are at risk of breaking. Silver (amalgam) fillings expand and contract with the temperatures of the food and drinks you have causing hairline cracks in the enamel of the tooth. Teeth with large fillings are also at risk of needing root canals. The more often a tooth is filled and refilled the more irritated the nerve will become.

Sensitivity to apples. Is it the temperature of the apple or the sourness? Either way you may have root exposure on the cheek side of your tooth that is causing this sensitivity OR you could have wear facets (caused by grinding and clenching) on the biting surface of your tooth. Have your dentist check your bite. Are you hitting heavy on that side of your mouth (if it is heavily restored this is a possibility)? You might need a simple occlusal (bite) adjustment. Does this tooth have a filling in it yet? If not, I'd bet it's bite related and no crown would be needed. You could also try brushing twice a day with Sensodyne-F toothpaste. It will take a few days to see if it helps.

Existing chipped crown - depends on where the chip is. It it is causing food to be trapped between the teeth or plaque to collect more easily around it it's a good idea to replace it.

Before any of the crowns are done you need to find the cause of your tooth ache that comes and goes. When you've had your toothache have stress levels been hight? If they have, you are probably clenching or grinding your teeth. This will cause a toothache (sensitive to bite or temperature) and it will go away once the stress level is down. If this is what has been happening, again have your dentist check your bite and ask him/her about a nightguard.

You want to be sure that the nerves of all 3 teeth are OK before crowns are done. The dentist can take periapical (xray of the teeth that shows the root tips) x-rays to check. If there is any sign of infection around any of the roots a root canal may be needed before the crown is done. (A heavy bite can cause nerves to die)

I'd suggest full gold crowns on any of the teeth that are not visible when you smile. Gold is the healthiest material for your gums, it's most like the enamel of your teeth, it won't chip like porcelain will from day to day wear, less tooth structure has to be removed when preparing the tooth for the crown and it is usually less costly than a porcelain fused to metal crown. Do not get an all porcelain crown on a back tooth as it will eventually chip and need to be replace.

WOW! Sorry for being so long winded but I hope this helps with your decision making.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temporary porcelain front crowns [ 4 Answers ]

I am a newbie here. I just had three front porcelain crowns put in a few days ago. I have no idea what temps should feel or look like. They look great but feel like I have buck teeth. Behind the teeth feels like I have a chuck of bread stuck there. When I speak some of the words I pronounce sound...

Flying with crowns [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: can you fly on a plane after having crowns??

Are crowns a necessity for root canals [ 2 Answers ]

I had a root canal done about 3 weeks ago and today I found out that my dentist wants to put a cown on it. I an asking if this is truly needed for the cost is over $500 and I just paid $450 for the root canal.

Gold crowns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to remove a gold crown at home, if so... How? I am currently not insured, but I relly need this crown removed.

Five Crowns Of Scripture [ 3 Answers ]

"FIVE CROWNS OF SCRIPTURE" I referenced this subject in my previous post ("Partakers of Their Evil Deeds), thus I post the following. Please share your comments re these crowns. ===========. THERE IS NO CROWN GIVEN FOR SALVATION! "...IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD!" (1) The believer's sins...

View more questions Search