Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meggy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Why does my one year old lab still poop in his crate?
    I have a one year old lab who still poops in his crate what do I do?:(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2007, 05:54 PM
    This difficult problem will be even more so having been let go a year. If you are leaving him in the crate all day, you may never fix it. Dogs that are forced to live in their own filth when too young to hold it, may never learn to stay clean. Quite often the problem is created before people bring the puppy home, puppy mills, pet stores, and the would be breeders that come here showing they know nothing about caring for puppies. Although many people have such problems, it is not normal, and doesn't happen with well cared for puppies.

This is not a problem I have had, or have successful experience fixing. I do have some ideas that may help. I would rather have some more details first, is it over night, during a long day, or almost as soon as you put him in it?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 10:29 AM
    From an email:

''Thanks for the response. It is usually when we go away and somebody
    Else watches him for us, but when we do return home he still does it the
    First night that we are home and then stops. He does however still pee
    In his crate almost all the time. The breeder that we got him from
    Had the puppys going right in the crate but had paper underneath to catch
    It, could that be why?''

As I said, ''Quite often the problem is created before people bring the puppy home... '' I am sure what the breeder did helped lead to the problem. It does sound like the stress of being left with somebody else. As he develops confidence when he sees a pattern of prompt returns, he may do it less. If his keepers walk him good before putting him in the crate, and then give him a Kong filled with peanut butter, he could be too busy licking the peanut butter out to be stressed enough to foul the crate.

Again, walking him may help with the urinating. It is a little defeatist and going back to the breeder's poor practice, but you can keep him up out of the urine by using a grid in the crate. I won't repeat what is in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...man-53153.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Two year old beagle just started to poop in her crate. [ 2 Answers ]

My two year old beagle has been crate trained since we adopted her at six months old. She recently started to poop in her crate! She has never seemed to mind being in her crate. When I let her in during the day that is where she goes and she will just lay in there with the door open. At night we...

My lab 7 mnths old will not poop outside in the grass [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a 7 month old lab female.who is really smart right she would be the best dog ever if only she would stop pooing in my house. I take her outside a lot,we go on walks.she will use the bathrrom on my back deck but my landlord is having a issue wiuth that.she won't use the bathroom in front...

Why does my Dachshund poop in his crate? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 8 month old puppy (Bailey) that is perfect in every way except that he poops in his crate. He never has accidents in the house. He sleeps with us at night, all night with no problems. When we go to visit his brother that DOES NOT go in his crate, Bailey holds it all day while they are...

View more questions Search