Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NCKitkat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Roaring pipes?
    This is a home that was built back in the late 60's/early 70's. Initially the first thing I noticed is with the basement toilet. It sounded like it was flushin' or refillin' on it's own. Now when it does that the pipes (I'm guessin' the pipes) seem to roar/whine. I've checked the water level in the tank when full and it is 'bout 1/2" below the overflow. Is the next step to check the pressure? If the toilet is doin' this on it's own is there potentially a leak? Thank you in advance for your help! It's great to be able to find such helpful people and learn, too! :) Have a great day! Kat
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 22, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Hey Kat,

Check the flapper. Run your fingers around the flat part. Any rough spots or wavy edges? The linkage,(chain) wants to have 1/4" of play when the flapper's seated. To test for leaks place some food coloring in the tank tonight and let it set overnight. There should be no no color in the bowl in the morning. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

In just one bathroom when the water is turned on the pipes bang when the water is running or when the toilet is flush

Old Pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I'm redoing a bathroom in a 1960's vintage home. Wanted to replace the rusted pipes draining from the sink (in the wall) with pvc. Should I screw out the pipe or just pull. Do I have to knock out the wall and get a clear view or can I do the job without wall damage. When I install the PVC do I...

Air in pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have 2 questions 1- How can I take the air out from the hot water pipes. Summary: I bought a house and the plumbing was re-done just before and also a new gas hot water tank was installed. Sometimes the noise scares my kids.:D 2- Why do we have a hard time to have a shower with...

Bathroom pipes [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new pipe in my bathroom sink. I thought I had everything attatched correctly, but water does not exit the pipes. The pipes are NOT clogged. Can you help me?

Abs pvc pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm redesigning my bathroom, and noticed that I have ABS pipes. The home depot don't sell any ABS supplies, but I was told that I could use the PVC instead. The guy over at Home depot seemed not to know much about plumbing. My question would be if I connect ABS with PVC is there any issues, or any...

View more questions Search