Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dipshi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Ceiling fan remote
    Bought ceiling fan and a remote unit. I did not realize that the remote that I bought needed to be hooked up to the electrical power switch. I have already installed the receiver end into the fan and do not want to remove it.

The remote has two black wires that I assume are suppose to connect the circuit to what is suppose to be the light. The problem is that the light switch in the room powers an outlet.
    I already hooked up the ceiling fan and remote receiver to hot power from my attic.

The remote receiver looks like a real receiver and has an antenna on it. Would I cause any problem if I hooked the two black wires on the room swith to the two black wires on the remote.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2007, 02:22 PM
    I wouldn't try it. Then the current for whatever you have plugged into the outlet will be passing through the switch. It might work, but why risk it?

Just swap out the receiver and switch with a wireless remote kit. It's easier than any other option.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Ceiling fan remote control [ 3 Answers ]

My remote control turns the fan on but the fan stops in a short time? I have changed the remote control battery and this did not help. The fan motor does not get hot. What should I check now? Thanks .

Remote control ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

The worst thing I ever did was buy a ceiling fa n with a remote.. I lost the remote. Now I can't turn on the light and fan.. I purchaced a universal one and it don't work.. How do I get anither remote.. Or how do I get the light and fan to work with out the remote control

New ceiling fan remote instalation [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new Hampton Bay Ceiling fan. It has a remote control that I need to install. There are the "main" power wires on one side. black white and blue. I know what to do with these. On the other side of the remote are two more wires. Red and white. I am not sure where to connect these. There are...

Wiring ceiling fan with remote [ 1 Answers ]

There is a black, white, and red wire coming out of ceiling There is a black and white wire on one side of remote - black, white, and blue wires on the other side of the remote A green fan wire is connected to a bare ground wire from the ceiling Everything is connected per the...

View more questions Search