Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gonzalezk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 10:15 AM
    Moved from N.H to G.A at the end of Nov. Do I file GA Taxes?
    Moved my family from N.H to G.A at the end of Nov. I continue to work for the same company since I have been working from home the last 6 years.

Do I file GA Taxes?

I usually do my own taxes using TurboTax, this year I not sure if I have to file for both states NH and GA, I also made some home improvements in order to sell the house which could qualify for Tax deduction (energy efficient garage doors)... I also should qualify for tax credit because of the purchase of our new home in GA since I lived more than 8 years on my previous home and the new home is definitely a step up...

Anyway, I know I dumped a few things here, so the main question is. Considering all of these:

Do I file in NH and GA Taxes?

And considering the move and the things I want to report, do I need to see a Tax accountant or could I handle it with TurboTax?

Thanks in advance
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 02:24 PM

Yes, you file GA taxes as a part-year resident, covering the period Nov 1 - Dec 31. Presumably since Novenber your employer has been withholding GA income tax from your pay, right?

NH doesn't have income tax, so why would you file there?

TurboTax should be fine - try it and see if it properly captures the credits that you mentioned. It should also be able to handle the part year return for GA without a problem, although you'll need to purchase the GA tax module. Others on this site would probably suggest using a Pro, as the cost difference between professional preparation versus buying TurboTax federel and state programs may not be too much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I haven't had my period since nov.13 and I had sex nov. 21 could I be pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

Ok so a friend of mine had her period November 13 and that was the last time. She and her boyfriend of two years decide to have sex for the first time November 21. She still hasn't had her period and she is starting to worry. She has most of the syptoms of pregnancy, but she is still unsure of what...

I moved and did not get my taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way I can get my taxes since I moved

I married in Nov 2007. Do we file together? He is on an H3 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My husband has been in the united states working on an h3 visa from sept 06 until dec 07. We got married in nov of 07. Should we be filing our taxes together, or should we file separately? Thanks. Ani

Moved out of US mid-2006, which forms to file? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, In 2006, I worked in US for 173 days i.e. less than half of the year, and moved outside US with no US income. I will like to know what tax forms I need to fill up. When I use one of the online websites mentioned by IRS, it fills up 1040 and CT1099NR/PY (I was in CT). Is that correct? ...

Lived in Florida and moved to va do I file twice? [ 7 Answers ]

I lived in Florida up until August of 2005 then moved to Virginia. I am trying to do my taxes online through H&R block and not getting any answers. Do I need to file the 2 states separate? Or can I do it all together? I really don't want to have to have a tax preparer do it and pay the $ when I...

View more questions Search