Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tobonyx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2006, 09:29 PM
    New Construction Slab Issue!
    Hey There! We have recently started building our very first home and my father is a Master Plumber and has assumed the responsibility of the Plumbing to help save us some money. We have had issues from day 1 with the Contractor not providing us w/a blue print, only a schematic, issues w/damages created by his sub-contractors and such. We are in the 2nd phase of the plumbing and today we were to have the inspection of the "Top-out" and electrical. We discovered that the tub was not holding the water from the drain pipe and that it is leaking somewhere under the slab. My question is, what rights do I have as the home owner when it comes to who is responsible for the damages that have occurred under the slab? I have been told by my parents that we are not responsible because the plumbing passed inspection in the first phase and that somehow/somewhere the slab pourers must have broken a pipe or something! Knowing the problems I have already had w/the contractor I am lead to believe he will not accept the responsibility for damages occurring during the slab pour! Can you give me any advice on how to handle this situation, as I understand it could be VERY expensive to repair and "FIND" the leak first of all!? THANKS :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2006, 06:33 AM
    This is the problem, first you continued to use a contractor that you were having problems with from "day 1" you should have gotten rid of him on "day 1" if you were having problems of him not doing what you ( the person paying the bills) wanted.

Second problem, since you did not all the contractor to be responsible for all the work, but you in fact are the contractor, since you sub contacted plumbing to one company and the rest to another company.

Now he will claim it is not his fault, and the plumber will claim it is not his fault.

So you really need a third party to tear it out and see whose fault it is, and then who ever caused the problem will have to pay for it to be fixed properly.

This is the problem with not having one person you can hold responible.

And of course, since he was not responsible for the plumbing, he will not take responsibility for this unless you prove his people did it.

So sadly having your father help save you money may not have saved you any at all.

The best way for your father to have helped would have been actually sub contract under the contractor, who would have then been responsible for all work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OSB used in construction [ 8 Answers ]

Can I use this type of board for walls and roof and floors for my shed if I intend to cover the exterior in sheetmetal?. if so, should I paint all of the OS.. just in case it rains while I'm building?. this is going to be a 1 man job so its going to take me awhile.. thanks for any help

New construction [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a new townhouse in Virginia. Would you recommend copper or pvc piping throughout the home and why. Thank you...

New tub old construction [ 1 Answers ]

I am intending to install a new tub in my downstairs bath. It has a large linen closet that we do not use and would like to put the tub there. I am curious if anyone has ideas as to how to plumb this. I have my own, however I am not a plumber and would like to see how you guys might go about it....

New construction [ 3 Answers ]

I plan to have a house built, and circumstances (financial and otherwise) Necessitate that I assume some of the construction chores such as plumbing, Electrical, floor plan design, and contracting. I'm probably way over my Head on the plumbing task because I've had very little experience. The...

Construction [ 1 Answers ]

How much does it cost to build a parliament in a developing country?

View more questions Search