Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RoxyStar2482 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Legal action against a roommate who refuses to pay rent?
    I live in Mira Loma, Ca and my roommate is becoming unbearable to live with. She recently became pregnant and now that she needs to save money she is setting new rules such as (not running the air, and never using the lights),without abiding by them. As a result of this I want out of my lease. My leasing office tells me that I have three options: she can sign me off the lease, I can sign her off the lease, or we can give a 30 day notice and pay the cost of the lease. My roommate is refusing to do all of these things even though I told her that I would pay the total cost to break the lease. She has not been home in a week and won't return my phone calls and now I am concerned that she won't even pay her part of the rent at all. If this happens do I have the right to evict her or take legal action against her to pay her part of the rent and bills or agree to sign a 30 day notice? Also is she does not pay rent and I can't afford to pay her rent will this ruin my credit?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 08:43 PM
    You may sue her for her share of the costs. You can see if the landlord will do some legal actoin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-Roommate refuses to pay recent rent, though not on lease [ 2 Answers ]

In September, 2007, my best friend at the time and I moved into a great new apartment in Brooklyn. Because our combined incomes were not enough to get the apartment, my parents agreed to co-sign. Because of this, only my name had to be on the lease. Regrettfully, I did not require that my friend...

Early termination of lease, roommate refuses to pay remainder of rent on her own [ 2 Answers ]

I was renting a townhouse with a 12-month lease with a roommate in PA. 9 months into this lease, I needed to relocate due to a job move. I informed my roommate as well as gave a 30 day written notice to my landlord. The request was for my name to be removed from the lease after 30 days. It was...

Roommate refuses to pay rent [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am from Philadelphia. My roommate and I signed a lease that will expire on 8/31/2007, but she wants to move out at the end of May and wants her half of the last month rent to cover the month of May. He is bounded to the lease until it ends. What can the landlord do to me if I only pay my...

Ex-roommate refuses to pay rent and deposit back [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I moved in with someone I considered like a brother into an apartment in Philadelphia in May 2005. I knew him for over a year and a half before we moved in together when he was in college and I had started working. He would have money issues and I would pay for his share of the rent and...

Help roommate moved out and refuses to pay rent [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are on a lease with someone in NC. The rent is $800. My boyfriend actually pays rent somewhere else but basically lives with me. Before the "someone" moved in I informed them that my boyfriend basically lives with me. She said okay and agreed to paying half the rent. She...

View more questions Search