Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carriewebb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Brake fluid leak- master cylinder or caliper?
    First, my Honda Accord is a 1987 and has seen about 300,000 miles. It is slowly leaking break fluid, because about every two weeks the brake light comes on and I have to put in more fluid. I have looked at it, and the front right caliper is damp with brake fluid so I am replacing that caliper. I am just not sure if the master cylinder is a problem as well because it is so old I think the rubber parts might be disentigrating. Can I take it out and check it? How do I do this, or is there a way to see if it is fine without taking it out? I want to know if it will give out without warning one day, or if I will slowly lose the pressure. It scares me to drive around with possible brake failure.

Thanks

Carrie
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2007, 07:48 PM
    You should not have to replace the caliper since it can be rebuilt at about 1/20th the cost of a caliper. The master, if it leaks, is frequently an interior leak, you just can't maintain pressure. If it leaks outside it is likely just the fitting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clutch master cylinder kit [ 1 Answers ]

HI I have a toyota hilux 86 petrol 2.0 ltr. I want to replace the seals in the clutch master cylinder. I have bought the kit and am looking for some tips or advice. Matthew

Master Cylinder with ABS Questionn [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question, I have a 1997 Hyundai Accent GS with power brakes and I need to replace the master cylinder. I'm not sure if my car is equipped with ABS or not, I was wondering if I could install a master cylinder with ABS on my car if my car doesn't have ABS on it? Or would I have to just buy a...

Losing brake fluid [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1982 Ford F-100 pickup, I am losing brake fluid. Over the past year I have replaced front disc pads, new hoses, rear wheel cylinders, and re-built master cylinder. The front reservoir of the master cylinder constantly goes down. And the master cylinder body is usually wet almost like the...

1993 accord cluch master cylinder [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change a culch master cylinder on a 93 accord

Brake fluid loss [ 9 Answers ]

My 1993 Honda Civic requires topping up of the brake fluid every 3 months due to the light coming on. There are no leaks in the master cylinder and no leaks at the brake pads (I checked all 4 wheels). There is also no dripping of brake fluid in my driveway. This has been happening for 2...

View more questions Search