Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kia Posts: 272, Reputation: 13

May 14, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Being needy
    Just looking for opiniions here..
    What makes a person seem needy in a relationship? Is it the need for time, telephone calls, etc.. I know people have different takes, but I just wouild like to hear some of them... thanks!
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 14, 2008, 11:24 AM
    They are lacking something, obviously.
    Kia Posts: 272, Reputation: 13

May 14, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia
    just looking for opiniions here..
    What makes a person seem needy in a relationship? Is it the need for time, telephone calls, etc..? I know people have different takes, but I just wouild like to hear some of them...thanks!
    I actually meant to use the word clingy..
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 14, 2008, 12:17 PM
    I stand by my answer.
    movinrightalong Posts: 23, Reputation: 8

May 16, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Kia,

I think that what you are asking is a difficult question for most people to answer.

Relationships that involve one or both people that are "needy" or "clingy" are not good ones to be in. It is often referred to as co-dependence. Usually, it is a result of a lack of self-confidence in one's self and the need to be the most important thing in the others life.

What happens is that one person usually becomes less involved in their own life and more concerned about the other person. The problem with this is that you begin to lose your own identity and start to assume the identity of the relationship. The assumption in those type of relationships is that the person is nothing without that relationship. This is a big problem if it gets out of hand because relationships like that typically end, and it really doesn't go well for the breakee. The breakee is left alone, lost, and broken-hearted. These are all terrible feelings to experience.

If you are the one being told that you are needy, you have to stop. The best thing that you can do is take a step back and begin learning about yourself again. You have to be independent and confident. You also have to have interests and activities that you do outside of the relationship. That way you are bringing your side to the relationship and meeting the other person halfway. You must always remember that you are part of a relationship, and it should never be the relationship that defines you.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 16, 2008, 10:50 PM
    If you spend a lot of your time requiring your mate to list his whereabouts, explain his actions, defend his beliefs, or assuade your fears... you are a clingy, needy girlfriend. And you're making him miserable.

If you spend your time sharing your life calmly and with little "questioning", then you are an independent, confident individual who is attractive to others and who your boyfriend is proud to stand next to.

You can figure out which you are with almost no help from anyone else... if you're an honest person.
    jpm247 Posts: 88, Reputation: 18

May 22, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Try and keep the relationship at a 50-50 level, by that I mean each partner is giving an equal amount. When one starts to overtake the other, that's when you can get a bit clingy and needy, as you'll come across as too keen to be around them all the time.

You need your own life as well as being within a relationship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I stop being so needy? [ 18 Answers ]

I'm justa about to turn 18. I have a boyfriend and we've been together for nearly 2 years. I love him dearly and he loves me. The problem is, I constantly feel insecure about it, and I feel that he doesn't love me and he only says that he does because he doesn't want to upset me. Recently he...

I came across as being needy to my girlfriend. [ 6 Answers ]

This is really bothering me I'll try and make it as short as possible. I (26) met my Ex (23)last July and we saw each other for a couple months then started dating in Sept. Her and I really connected on every level. We could do everything together or hang out separately it didn't matter. ...

Free eyeglasses for the needy [ 8 Answers ]

Lenscrafters is having a special deal on the morning of Wednesday 2 December to provide free eyeglasses to those that can't afford them. If you want to help, spread the word about the "Hometown Day". People must document need and make an appointment ahead of time. See ...

Meaningful, but needy friend [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who has within recent months (ever since she got engaged and asked me to be in her wedding) started to call me every day, sometimes twice a day. Though I cherish her friendship and do not want to lose her as a friend, I have a busy schedule, I work two jobs, I have a boyfriend,...

Getting past being to needy [ 1 Answers ]

I have finally realized that my past has made me VERY needy of my husband for emotional stability. When he is not home, I then need approval and affection from my male friend. What can I do to not be so needy?

View more questions Search