Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excel94 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 09:28 PM
    Theft under 5000 many years ago and looking for a job now.
    So when I was 15 (im 19 now) I was caught shoplifting and got charged with theft under 5000 and possession of stolen property. I got my fingerprints and my mugshot taken.

However, when I went to court, they didn't have me in their system. So I went before the judge and he gave me a letter stating that I have appeared in court on that date.

I recently applied for a job that requires an PRC and a VSS done and when I got them done.
    The Letter said this:

As requested on -------, a search based on your name and date of birth did not disclose any conviction outstanding charges or warrants in the national repository of canada. This information can only be confirmed by fingerprint comparison

I checked with a few of my buddies who are applying for the same job and they also got the same message. So I'm guessing it's a standard 'clean' message

My potential employer is also running a Reliability Status Check (RS). Will it pick up the shoplifting incident?
    Can I go into the police station to get them to destroy my fingerprints and mugshot since I was not convicted?

I live in Ontario, Canada.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 09:37 PM

If you have the right to have expungement in Canada by being a juvenile?

It could have been erased because you were only 15 at the time.
    I would check that out.

Call your local police station and ask,there are people out there in authority who are very kind and willing to help.

Explain to who you talk to that when asking for your record (,if any) you don't want to give information to your prospective employer that may be false as that could terminate you and they should respect that.
    Good luck!

I am not a lawyer and have no business giving legal advice.This is opinion only.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under $5000.15 Years-Old? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada So on May 3rd I was caught shoplifting at The Bay. The store security arrested me and called the cops. The cops came then called my dad. After my dad came they told him about what happened and asked me and him to sign a 'Notice Prohibiting Entry' stating that...

Theft under $5000 - 18 years old [ 13 Answers ]

So I'm 18 years old from ontario canada, went to sobeys and stole a cat food dish which cost about 5-6 dollars. I got caught and being charged for theft under $5000. This is the first time I got involved with the law or any crminal acts. And now I have to go to court. I don't have a lawyer because...

Theft Under 5000/ Only 14 years old [ 12 Answers ]

So the other day My kid brother did stupid Stuff He Went To Wal - mart And decided To Steal 29.99 Headphones... He was easily caught and apprehended, police were called and he was given a ticket He has to go appear in court now, but he has a lot of worries / troubles As do I. I need to know...

Theft Under 5000: 19 Years [ 3 Answers ]

2 days ago I was caught shoplifting at a 24 hour grocery store with some friends. The police charged me with Theft under 5000 and possession under 5000. This is my first offence. I am scheduled to appear in court in April. Is there any way this incident can stay off my record? I've heard of an...

Theft under $5000 from 5 years ago [ 8 Answers ]

On one particular day in February 2002, I had went to Zellers and stupidly attempted to steal a cheap $20 camera. I subsequently got caught by security, the police was called and I was issued a bunch of papers. Note: I was only a kid then, and the Young Offenders Act was still in place. I...

View more questions Search