Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    love2fishfork Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Room mate left personal belongings and furniture
    I know this has been asked before but I'm still confused.

I live in Kansas. I had a room mate who lived with me for about 6 months while she tried to get away from an abusive husband. During that time she never paid rent or bills, but she did buy a few pieces of furniture. When she left (to go back to the abuse). She left some personal stuff and the furniture. I have not heard from her in over two years and have no forwarding address. Can I get rid of this stuff, or should I store it longer.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 08:35 AM
    I would send a certified letter, return receipt requested, stating that she has X number of days to reclaim the property or you will dispose of it.

Send it to the last address you know she lived at, even if she is no longer there.

It will most likely come back to you, moved left no forwarding, or unclaimed.

Once the time limit has expired that you stated in the notice, get rid of the crap, keep the returned letter, and present that if she should ever try to take legal action against you for getting rid of it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 30, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Progunr provides a thorough way to make sure you've covered the bases, and his approach is the decent thing to do. But actually you have no legal responsibility to provide storage facilities for someone else, so you would be within your rights to toss it all any time you want.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Progunr provides a thorough way to make sure you've covered the bases, and his approach is the decent thing to do. But actually you have no legal responsibility to provide storage facilities for someone else, so you would be within your rights to toss it all any time you want.
    Within her legal rights, yes.

Protected from a frivolous law suit, no.

What's to prevent the other party from claiming an oral agreement, and the asker needing to defend against that in a possible suit?
    love2fishfork Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2008, 11:44 AM
    I agree that progunr's idea is the "proper" thing to do, but there's more to this story. This girls husband is a sociopath, alcoholic and very dangerous. I have received death threats form this guy (he is stupid enough to leave them on my answering machine which I saved). I have hundreds of hours of recorded messages and e-mails from this guy. The fact that two years have passed with no contact is a good thing. If I send a letter and it somehow finds it's way to her or him, it will open up another can of worms. He has huge financial resources and seems to enjoy suing people just for the fun of it.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by love2fishfork
    He has huge financial resources and seems to enjoy suing people just for the fun of it.
    Another excellent reason to protect yourself in the event a suit happens.

I love it when someone asks a question, someone else gives a thoughtful answer, and then the asker comes up with a "but theres more to the story". Sure makes things interesting.

If you are afraid to send the letter, and afraid that he will do harm to you, if you do, or if you don't, then you need to plan on storing the stuff forever.

That is the only other option I can offer you after your "but there's more to this story".

Hope things turn out well for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Room-mate [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who has a roommate who is trying to kick him out but he paid for the time he was to stay there. The think is he is not on the lease what can he do because they had a verible agreement.

My room mate left before the lease was up [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in Mo. My roommate and I both signed the lease on our apartment last May. She left in November and promised to pay her half of the rent to the end of the lease. She hasn't. The landlord wants her half of the rent now. Paid in full. If I pay it, can I sue the roommate for what I had to pay...

Roommate left his belongings and did not pay his share of bills and rent [ 1 Answers ]

Myself and one other person are on a written lease agreement. Our third roommate was on a verbal lease agreement. He stopped living at our residence almost 4 months ago and left all of his belongings. He will randomly state he wants his stuff back, and we say we want the $700+ he owes us. Can we...

Belongings left behind after termination of lease [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in PA. We have a tenant who requested to terminate her lease, and we accepted her request. We were receiving a Section 8 voucher, but she had not paid her portion of the rent for two months. In my letter accepting her terminating the lease, we told her to be out by November 30. She has...

Room mate not on lease [ 1 Answers ]

Landlord W rents to tenants A and T. Today W got a call from A saying that she wants help getting someone out of their (rented) house. Co-tenant T told friend R he could live there for a while. A thought it would be just a few days. Now R has been there for weeks, messing up the house, paying...

View more questions Search