Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cherry cola Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Pcos
    I had a blood test for poly cystic ovary syndrome a couple of years ago and it came back negative. Now I've got a really bad and embarrassing problem with hair growing on my chin and stuff and I'm only 19 is it possible that I could have developed pcos since the last time I was tested?
    MandaGayl3xo6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry cola
    I had a blood test for poly cystic ovary syndrome a couple of years ago and it came back negative. Now i've got a really bad and embarrassing problem with hair growing on my chin and stuff and i'm only 19 is it possible that I could have developed pcos since the last time I was tested?
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 12 I am 19 now, and yes, I believe it is possible. I know what you mean about embarrassing I have been getting made fun of and had people I have cared about leave me over it. It was the worst thing in the world to happen to me. I believe you should get tested again it could never hurt! GO to a new doctor if you think that is best I have changed my doctors 3 times over this. Everyone kept telling me something different! But like I said, it would never hurt you to get it checked and you probably should before it gets to late and more symptoms start happening! If you need anything, please get ahold of me I have gone through what your about it and a little support never hurts! With care, amanda =)
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 03:39 PM
    It is definitely possible that you could have developed pcos since the last time you were tested.

What kind of blood tests did they do? I didn't even know they had a blood test for pcos. We suspected I had it but my doctor didn't know for sure until he discovered over 20 cysts on my ovaries while performing a c-section.

Check out SoulCysters.com: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Treatment & Resources for more info about pcos. And consider seeing an endocrinologist.
    cherry cola Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 03:16 PM
    They did a blood test to check my hormone levels but I've now just had another one so just waiting for the results. That must have been a bit of a shock. I know this might sound silly but is a c- section a caesarean? The website was really useful too thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Yes, dear, a C-Section is a Cesarean Section.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry cola
    They did a blood test to check my hormone levels but i've now just had another one so just waiting for the results. That must have been a bit of a shock. I know this might sound silly but is a c- section a caesarean? The website was really useful too thanks.

It wasn't a shock, it was a relief to finally know exactly what was causing my infertility problems and other symptoms. The doctor had suspected I had pcos but wasn't positive until he saw the cysts. Afterwards I discovered that website and found a lot of info and tips that helped me to deal with it.

Good luck!
    pcosinct Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 07:45 PM
    What probably happened was one of several things

- the first go around they missed it which is quite common even today as many doctors are uneducated
    - the PCOS might have been in it's young stages - PCOS gets worse over time when not treated with a diabetic lifestyle
    - your hormone levels may be "within normal ranges" but may not be normal for your body thus the doctor missed it (mine have always been wonderful - most better then dead center ranges - but for my body, they are not normal and changes can be seen over several hormone panels - this is why it is so important to have hormone panels done often)

PCOS just does not spring into action, it is a progressive disease and there are often many sudtle signs that doctors blow off. This is why it is so important to educate all doctors in depth about PCOS.

Angi Ingalls
    PCOS in ConnecTion
    [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have pcos [ 2 Answers ]

I Have PCOS Can I still get pregnant?and if I can't what is the cheapist fertility drug and can my obgyn give me a prescription for firtility drugs?

Menopause & PCOS [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help with this but here goes; I have PCOS (diagnosed by my Dr). I have a complete lack of periods and have had for some 20yrs now. How will this condition affect my menopause? I've looked at various websites (verity etc) and no-one seems to address it? Any...

Possible PCOS and very worried [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I've just been told by my gyn. Doctor that I most probably have polycystic ovaries. As I am trying for my second baby I am very worried that I am now infertile. I rarely have a period so I rarely ovulate if at all. Does anyone have any info about PCOS and does anyone know if an ultrasound scan...

PCOS, because, and Pregnancy [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, so I guess I'll start with the fact that I have been to the doctor about my "No Periods" issue, as stated in another question I have asked, "No periods, Neg Tests." The doctor "thinks" I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). We did multiple tests, Hormone levels, Urine pregnancy tests,...

View more questions Search