Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Iamda Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Does Macy's do an Esteem check?
    I just wanted to know if Macy's does an Esteem, retail theft database, check as part of their pre-employment checks? I was turned down at another job because they did this check. I thought my name had not been added to this database, so I did not disclose the circumstances to the employer that turned me down; however, if during the interview process with Macy's I mention the circumstances, can they be overlooked because I disclosed them?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 02:25 PM

If you have a criminal record your name may be on 100's of private data bases. Is is on the regular police record ?

Oct 11, 2010, 02:56 PM
    No, it is not. I was not convicted of anything; however, I know for a fact that I'm on the Esteem database and I aim to remove it; however, that takes time and I need a job now.

Oct 11, 2010, 03:02 PM
    Actually, to supplement that, I was never even charged with anything criminally.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2010, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamda View Post
    if during the interview process with Macy's I mention the circumstances, can they be overlooked because I disclosed them?
    Hello I:

You're given NO immunity from your record simply because you disclosed it to them before they found out themselves...

excon

Oct 11, 2010, 05:57 PM
    Well, I'm not referring to immunity, but I mean if they find out and I omit it, then obviously I'm not going to get it. However, I was wondering if like criminal disclosures, it says that it will not automatically disqualify you from employment, would that be the same for disclosing this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 06:27 PM

I may of course guestion the legality of a data base that claims you committed retail theft, but were never arrested, and never tried for the crime. They are basically saying you are guilty of something that you were never tried for.

But basically if you tell them ahead of time ( unless you explain it is there in error, confused with someone else or something)

But to be blunt, if they have 140 applications for one job opening ( and often it will be more) if there is any blurr on the application what so ever it gets tossed and they go on to find some without any problems ( according to the rules they are using )

Basically they can only ask if you were ever convicted of a crime,

And if another store is telling other business you stole something and have no proof of that, they open theirself up to some law suit issues.

Oct 11, 2010, 06:35 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    I suspected the not getting the job based on the information provided to them, but I'm leaning towards telling them and taking my chances rather than going through the whole hiring process only to be told before you get a schedule, "sorry, but..."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Macy's Retail Inventory. Which months? [ 1 Answers ]

I know Macy's does an annual inventory at the beginning of the year. Do they also preform another overnight inventory count in August?

Macy's, 18 and caught shoplifting [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. I am 18 and got caught shoplifting some clothes from macy's about ten days ago. I am wondering, since I can't afford a lawyer and I'm most likely not eligible for a state given one since I live with my parents still... what can I do? If I represent myself, what do I need to prepare for?...

Bad credit with macy's and they want to reopen my account [ 4 Answers ]

I had a macy's credit card with a $700 limit, I fell behind in payments so of course with late fees and interest it is now $1008.00. A collection company called me and said if I make at least a $200 payment a month they will reopen the account once paid off and the limit will be $1008, Does this...

Self Esteem: [ 12 Answers ]

" Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process. - Phillips Brooks In what stage are you? HANK :)

View more questions Search