Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danak2002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 12:08 PM
    How can I collect once I've won a lawsuit?
    I recently won a judgement in a Virginia General District Court. My law suit was for about $7,500 and since Virginia Small Claims is limited to $5,000, I took my suit to the next higher court.

Good news is I won; bad news is now I have to figure out how to collect.

I (stupidly) loaned a then-girlfriend quite a bit a money to help her out of some financial troubles; fortunately I had her sign a Promissory Note. At first her monthly payments were sent automatically from her bank, but then for some reason she suddenly decided she no longer wanted to continue paying off her debt. I called her to see what was wrong - she was pretty hostile and said "I'm not paying you any more money! Go ahead and sue me!"
    When she stopped payments, the money owed (per the monthly payment schedule she agreed to and initialed) was about $7,500.

The judge reviewed the promissory note (very complete) and ruled in my favor; my ex-girlfriend decided not to appear (no surprise). By the way, I'm in Virginia; she's now living in Maryland.

The judge suggested that I wait for a "triple-sealed judgement" and file it in the city where my ex-girlfriend lives. Apparently that will create some obstacles for her if she decides to buy property or a car. However, I understand I also may be able to garnish her wages, or even her bank accounts. Unfortunately, all this is beyond me.

I contacted a Collection Agency, but they suggested I do a Google search for "Judgement Execution" collection companies. I called one in Richmond, VA, but no one answered; the only other I found and spoke to said they didn't do personal loan collections (apparently not even with a court judgement).

Okay, sorry for the dissertation, so here's my question: Are there Judgement Execution collection companies out there that you know of (and could share)? What other options to I have to collect so that my expenses to eat the greater portion of the money I'm trying to collect?

Thanks!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 03:44 AM
    You can file your judgment from VA in Maryland, they do permit that, look up Foregin judgment under the Maryland rules.
    Once you have filed that you can garnish her wages and or bank account. You will have to have someone serve her with the paper work.
    danak2002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Thanks Mr. Yet.
    Based on your info I've done a little more (layman's) research and found District Court of Maryland forms that will allow me garnish her wages and bank account. Only problem is, the forms state that I must provide her employer and bank account information.
    That, of course, brings up another question: How can I find out where she works (or if she may be self-employed) and where she banks? I'm sure, even if I asked *very* nicely, she's not about to volunteer that information.
    Thanks, once again, for any help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Ahh the Catch-22 of getting a judgement. Getting the judgement is usually easy. Collecting on it is another story.

I would suggest contacting a PI where she lives who can find where she works and maybe where she banks.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Once you find her address, Maryland does have Oral Examination summons that can be use to take her back into court is list all assets , bank accounts and wages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Olympics won [ 1 Answers ]

Which country won olympics 2006

Have judgment... how do I collect? [ 1 Answers ]

I havw been awarded a judgement in small claims court. How do I collect. The judgement is for $1000. I would like to go against bank account. How do I go about it?

What do you collect? [ 16 Answers ]

Just curious as to what (if anything) anyone on AMHD collects. I myself collect angels. They can include angel statutes and plates.

What if Carthage had won? [ 5 Answers ]

What would the world be like right now if Carthage had beaten Rome?

View more questions Search