Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kambha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Estimated Taxes for 2007
    Hi,

How to pay estimated taxes (federal, social security tax, Medicare tax and State tax) for year 2007. I see estimated tax calculation details on IRS site and is it includes only federal tax only or social security and Medicare taxes also.
    How to pay estimated tax for state.

Thanks in advance for your help/answers.

Thanks,

Sai
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 12:02 PM
    The estimated tax computation includes self-employment taxes if you are self-employed. If you are an employee, then only income taxes are considered.

As for the state, it depends on the state.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Mar 31, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kambha
    Hi,

How to pay estimated taxes (federal, social security tax, Medicare tax and State tax) for year 2007. I see estimated tax calculation details on IRS site and is it includes only federal tax only or social security and Medicare taxes also.
    How to pay estimated tax for state.

Thanks in advance for your help/answers.

Thanks,

Sai
    A quick way to figure your Estimated tax payments for 2007 is to look at your tax liability for 2006 and divide that number by 4 quarters. Estimated tax payments are made every 3 months (quarters) Say your tax liability was 2006 was $2000 and you paid in $2500. You would receive a $500 refund, right? Your estimated tax payments would be $500 for the 1st quarter, $500 for the 2nd quarter, $500 for he 3rd quarter and $500 for the 4th quarter because your tax liability for 2006 was $2000. Or you could use your $500 refund and have it applied to your 1st quarter estimated tax payments and skip making that 1st payment.
    Basically, it is the same as when an employer withholds federal income tax from your check and they also withhold 1/2 of Medicare and Social Security tax. The employer pays the other half of Medicare and Social Security for you. When you are self-employed, you pay both halfs. That's the only difference.
    Hope this helps.
    Mobea
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Mobea:

Your answer is fine for the example you cite.

However, it is inadequate if the person doing the estimate tax computation has a LARGE increase (in excess of $150K) in income from one year to the next.

Further, while your example will probably prevent the person from having to pay under-payment penalties, it will not prepare them for the LARGE check they would have to write if they did not properly compute their tax total liability and make the proper quarterly estimated tax payments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't get 2007 to work for me [ 1 Answers ]

I barely know enough about Microsoft Access to get by and I created a program for work that keeps track of inventory and uses a visual basic code to pull up pictures in forms. This has always worked great on Access 2003 but since we upgraded to 2007 this no longer works. If anyone could please tell...

Estimated Tax using 1040 or 1040NR (does it even matter) [ 1 Answers ]

I am a married Indian Citizen, me and my wife were on F1/F2 from Jan - Sep and converted to H1 starting October 1st. I am filiing an extension so that I can pass SPT. I was wondering if the estimated tax in the tax form needs to be computed using 1040NR or 1040 and does it matter?? As there...

Estimated Tax [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the Estimated Tax. My income did not changed a lot from last year, but now after I completed the filling and printed the forms I noticed that I have four vouchers for estimated tax and one for my owed tax. So I have to pay $1415 the amount I owe (from 1040 line 76) and...

What do I claim on my 2007 W-4? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a single home owner in Baltimore, MD. I will make $55k this year with salaries and bonuses. I made $47k last year as stated on my W-2. I received back approximately $2,200 from Federal and $640 from the State. I claimed single and 1 in both categories I want to elect exemptions...

Independent Contractor Estimated Tax Payments [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this forum and is in need of some advice and information. The company I used to work for, has now hired me as a Independent Contractor. I've provided them with a W9 Form so they can pay be as a vendor. However, I'm not sure if I need to pay Estimated Taxes each quarter to...

View more questions Search