Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Noodles15 Posts: 57, Reputation: 9

Dec 22, 2008, 03:29 PM
    What to do for a family dealing with death
    So, my friend's grandmother passed today.

I know it's nice to take a meal to the family, any suggestions of meals to make? Things that are easy to heat up?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 03:55 PM

A visit, "meals" OK but then 100 dishes of bean salad can go over the top, and so much is often thrown out.

Are they having a lot of family over ? When my dad died, it was me and mom basically, we liked the 8 pies and cakes, but most never got ate.

Often just knowing someone is there and cares means a lot.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Our staples for food for families in crisis are usually things like...

Baked pasta casserole (several variations on this I can give... my wife's italian, so I'm always making her family red sauce and freezing extra, but there are ways to make a canned sauce better)

Egg noodles and in a thick chicken/turkey soup and mashed potatoes (soup goes over)

Turkey and sausage tortellini soup with crackers and/or biscuits.

Beef brisket in bbq sauce with supplied bread/buns, cheese slices

Homemade vegetable beef soup/stew

All hearty "comfort" foods.

Most of these can be frozen for later use, which I this is important. Also, I try to use containers that are disposable. Glad makes some nice black plastic containers that are oven safe below 400F.

I try to make it as simple as possible... sure, I could send over fajita stuff, but its messier, more containers, more work. Best to give heat and eat items.
    Noodles15 Posts: 57, Reputation: 9

Dec 22, 2008, 04:13 PM

I'm not really sure about the arrangements yet. She passed just about an hour and a half afo, so it's all very fresh.

I used to be very close with the friend but we had a huge falling out, he was close with my boyfriend and I (he was originally my friend and didn't know my boyfriend). After my boyfriend and I broke-up he remained close to the friend. My boyfriend and I recently patched things up and the friends and I started talking again and such, but we're not close by any means so I don't really know my place in all of this. I made him a card when I heard she was seriously ill, and I called him today to let him know I was here for him, but I don't really know what else to do.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Well, sending flowers and a note to the family is kind.

Going to the wake and funeral shows support... you don't have to be close... just being present for a short time shows a kind act of support.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 25, 2008, 05:20 AM

You could send a card and include a gift certificate to a restaurant that has many different menu items. They could use this when they needed to, and order something to their liking, instead of having 15 tuna casseroles that go bad. Also this way, they don't need to worry about washing dishes, or returning peoples casserole dishes etc. and everyone can order what they are in the mood for, and they don't even need to worry about heating things.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    You could send a card and include a gift certificate to a restaurant that has many different menu items. They could use this when they needed to, and order something to their liking, instead of having 15 tuna casseroles that go bad. Also this way, they don't need to worry about washing dishes, or returning peoples casserole dishes etc., and everyone can order what they are in the mood for, and they don't even need to worry about heating things.

Absolutely or at least disposable containers. When my husband died neighbors and friends brought food and once I was functioning again I had no idea which dish belonged to which person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dealing with the death of a parent [ 13 Answers ]

My father passed away early this morning after an extended illness. Even though I had been trying to prepare myself for this for some time, I am having an awful time coping with this situation. Today, I took a drive about an hour away and bought myself lunch. I then drove to visit a few places my...

Dealing with death of my dad [ 9 Answers ]

I am 22 years old have a beautifal wife and two sons , I'm am enjoying every moment of being the dad I wish I had. But once in a while this deep dpression comes over me about my own father, I first met him when I was 10. We became the best of friends and as long as I had nothing of value he...

Death in family [ 1 Answers ]

My grandma died on the fourth of July. My family, including me, is taking it really hard. My mom has put herself in charge trying to get her dad and brothers on track. My papa and uncles lived with my nana and she was the one paying all the bills, making meals, and pretty much she was the glue that...

Our tragic family death [ 4 Answers ]

My family just experienced a death. Their mother just died out of no warning. They won't be very respectful to me sometimes, and I am wondering how they are feeling. My daughter, is 12 and this is the time she needed a mother the most. I have my two sons who loved her and still do. I don't know...

A Death In The Family [ 4 Answers ]

My wife's father passed away just before Christmas leaving behind some substantial credit card debt. He left behind no estate and no last Will. I was coaxed into paying for the funeral as well as cleaning up all lose ends after his passing, at the time not knowing what I was getting into. I have...

View more questions Search