Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Boogums Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 08:42 PM
    Septated Ovarian Cyst
    I have been bleeding since March 28 - at times VERY heavy, and have sharp pain on my left side. An ultrasound indicated a septated ovarian cyst on my left ovary. I spoke with the surgeon at my GYN office and he indicated a hysterectomy would be indicated (I cannot take BCP due to other medical conditions). The doctor did not seem concerned about this cyst or my other symptoms ( i.e. gassy/bloated feeling, heartburn, frequent urination). He also cannot perform surgery until Aug. 19! I feel exhausted and like I have no life due to the constant bleeding and pain. He also said there was "no way this cyst is malignant". He never asked about family history of cancer, etc. I realize there is only a slim chance this cyst is malignant, but I feel as though this dr. is being under-cautious. If anyone has any info, similar situation, etc I would love to hear from you. Should I find a new doctor - or is this doctor correct in saying this cyst is "normal"? Thanks for ANY input.
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

May 28, 2009, 11:24 PM

I cannot speak on my own personal experience, but my mom had ovarian cysts. The first time she developed them, the doc just removed the cyst but left the ovary. But a few years later, she developed another one. This time her doctor took out the whole ovary. Well a few years later, a third cyst came along and this time her doctor finally got the hint to just take it all out. He put her on BC, but it was unsuccessful. Don't be worried about a hysterectomy, its better to just get it all over with at one time than to have to go through it multiple time. The recovery is long and painful. Plus, no more periods! As far as your doctor goes, it never hurts to get a second opinion, espically since it is really bothering you.
    Boogums Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Thank you so much for your input. I will do my best to try to not worry so much about this cyst!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 31, 2009, 04:38 AM

I'd also look into getting a second opinion. There are a number of different types of cysts... and their treatment will be different depending on which sort they are.

Hysterectomy, while an option, should be the last option. Did your doctor mention another scan at some point to monitor any growth or change? (he should, especially if he is not thinking of surgery until August) Was a biopsy done? Did you have any blood work done? Was a laparoscopy (to view it better) done?

A laparotomy could be done if they needed to see it even more clearly and perhaps then a removal of the cyst. An option to consider before a complete hysterectomy would be to have just the ovary removed.

If these things were not discussed, definitely get a second opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ovarian Cancer [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, who knows what about ovarian cancer. I had a Ct done and have a huge tumor that covers my lower pelvic and hides both of my ovaries. My Ca-125 test came back low, Family dr referred me to my gyn, my gyn referred me to a gyn onconlogist. I'm clearly looking at surgery and due to the size of the...

Pregnant or ovarian cyst [ 1 Answers ]

My last period was 8/28/07.I asked my endo for serum hcg test( Im a diabetic) but test was negative,my period are not irregular they are every 26days, still have no period until today, I had some bleeding even had to use a pad,I had some discomfort and some cramping, but then its stopped and no...

Ovarian Cyst [ 3 Answers ]

Well I was just diagonosed with an ovarian cyst...and the doctor said that it has already ruptured...does anyone know if this could cause a problem getting pregnant?:confused: ..or if this is something I should be really worried about?:( ..One doctor told me that after it ruptured the pain should...

View more questions Search