Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiffyvee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 11:30 AM
    Joint legal custody
    I share joint legal custody of my 15 year old son with my father. I pay them child support, but they won't involve me in any decisions that are made for him, but I am still expected to pay anything his medical card doesn't cover without being consulted. They even kicked him out and he was living with my Aunt in another state for a month before I found out through a family member after trying to get a hold of him and them to see him the whole time with no response I even tried going through the friend of the court with no results, till my aunt finally called me. We talked about what was best for him and I signed over guardianship to her. He has gotten into some legal trouble since living with my aunt and she is canceling her guardianship. My son has since returned to my fathers house. I know I have to pay child support, but since they have always refused to involve me in any decisions for my son is there a legal way to make them solely responsible for his care and liability. I know I still have to pay child support. I just simply can not afford to go to court anymore, when they refuse to follow the courts ruling.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffyvee View Post
    ... is there a legal way to make them solely responsible for his care and liability. ...
    It appears that they (your ex and his father) already are. They are, you say, providing for his care (with their resources and the child support you are paying). Are you worried about tort liability for negligent or intentional acts of your son? It is unclear what, if any, liability you would have under the present circumstances.

Nov 14, 2011, 11:47 AM
    I am wondering about legal liability, if my son were to hurt someone or cause damage to property.
    Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 12:49 PM
    I am wondering about legal liability, if my son were to hurt someone or cause damage to property.
    I said it's unclear.

It would depend on what state you are in. Some states impose liability on the parents for torts committed by the child. A look at the statute would give a clearer picture.

Such statue is based upon the idea that the parent is responsible for seeing to it that the child doesn't act in a harmful manner. If, as in OP's situation, the parent is not in a position to prevent that, it is arguable that the statute doesn't apply.

It would also depend upon case law, if any, and the exact fact pattern presented (how the child caused the injury).

Nov 14, 2011, 12:58 PM
    I am in Michigan.
    Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 01:33 PM
    I am in Michigan.
    "600.2913 Minor maliciously or wilfully destroying property or causing bodily harm or injury to person; recovery of damages from parents.

Sec. 2913.

A municipal corporation, county, township, village, school district, department of the state, person, partnership, corporation, association, or an incorporated or unincorporated religious organization may recover damages in an amount not to exceed $2,500.00 in a civil action in a court of competent jurisdiction against the parents or parent of an unemancipated minor, living with his or her parents or parent, who has maliciously or wilfully destroyed real, personal, or mixed property which belongs to the municipal corporation, county, township, village, school district, department of the state, person, partnership, corporation, association, or religious organization incorporated or unincorporated or who has maliciously or wilfully caused bodily harm or injury to a person."
    Section 600.2913 - Minor maliciously or wilfully destroying property or causing bodily harm or injury to person; recovery of damages from parents. :: 2010 Michigan Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

If he is not living with you, you are not liable under this statute.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 06:06 PM
    Why is the child not with you? When aunt did not want him any longer why did you not attempt to get him?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In joint legal custody does can one parent get primary physical custody? [ 1 Answers ]

My child's father is in military and in order to get housing needs to show he will have baby for 50% of yr... in order to do so he needs custody but I'm not trying to give up my legal rights as her mother... what can we do?

Primary physical custody and joint legal custody [ 2 Answers ]

My son and his wife are divorced now, they have joint legal custody mother has primary physical custody because my son is in the military and he was told that she had to have primary physical custody in order to enroll the child in school. However she doesn't have my son listed as a contact person...

Joint Legal Custody in AZ [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, My Ex-husband and I share Joint Legal Custody of our 10 yr. old daughter, w/ myself having Sole Legal Custody. My new husband has received a job promotion and in time will require us to move out of state. We have been very upfront about this decision w/ my ex-husband and he seems to be...

Joint Legal Custody [ 2 Answers ]

The custodial parent informed me that our child may need major surgery. She informed me she took our child to an appt for an exam. She then said she was getting a second opinion. She did not provide me with any information on the first appt or give me the option of going to the appt. Now she is...

View more questions Search