Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    njguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Kenmore dishwater not cleaning
    I have a 4 yr old Kenmore dishwasher (model 665.16879). Recently, it has not been cleaning well, I can hear a high buzzing sound when earlier I used to hear the "wash" sound. I suspect that something is obstructing the motor from running smoothly. Any ideas?

PS: Recently, there was a lot of clunky sound from the dishwasher. Upon opening it up, and checking the food grinding motor, I found a piece of plastic spoon and a toothpick. After removing these, the dishwasher worked fine for 3 weeks, and now I have this problem.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 16, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Oh no,

There is no food grinding motor in a dishwasher. That is a pump motor and its not made for grinding food, spoons, or toothpicks. Your dishwasher has a strainer to help prevent this kind of stuff from being drawn into the pump. Your household dishwasher probobly just has a plastic impellar that a spoon will shred to pieces. Even commercial diswashers that have cast iron impellars can be stopped dead in their tracks by a smal spoon, normally bending the shaft of the motor.

Your pump motor is probobly stopped up with garbage and if you continue to run it without cleaning the impeller out, you risk damage to the pump, motor, and the impellar.

You will need to remove the pump and clean it out thoroughly. It may be to late for that pump, it may already be damaged and need to be replaced. If it has been removed, you will need to reinstall the strainer on the pump to prevent this kind of stuff from happening in the future. Also, if the impellar looks chewed up, replace it.

Also, contrary to the old commercial of the housewife putting a whole cake in a dishwasher to clean the cake plate it sits on, I will tell you that this is not good for ANY dishwasher. Always clean the scraps off the dishes before loading them in the dishwasher.

Good luck!
    njguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 01:04 PM
    Thanks andrewcocke. Any suggestions as to how to remove the pump? I have removed the filter mechanism and make sure that there are no food articles near the strainer and the pump, and that the blade is able to rotate freely.
    I was reading the ratings for this model, and read a comment that this model doesn't do a good job of preventing small objects from motor/pump and jamming it. Anyone else had similar problems?
    idjag2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Comment on andrewcocke's post
    Clear and concise, what about removing the pump? Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windshield cleaning [ 5 Answers ]

I used Windex to clean the inside of my front windshield... a few days later I looked and my windshield had so many smudges that I might as well not have even cleaned it. Do anyone have any tips to prevent that from happening when cleaning windows in your car?. any commercial products or mixes......

Cleaning windows [ 2 Answers ]

What is a best way to clean large windows and mirrors without streak?

Cleaning the navel [ 2 Answers ]

Hey well I've pierced my navel like 3 weeks ago and I've used lots of alcohol while cleaning it so it got red and now I'm using salt and boilled water and anibacterial soap and then a little bit of antibiotic cream is that OK? And I get a little bit of pus when I put the ring on again after the...

Cleaning Cookies [ 9 Answers ]

How do u clean up all those websites that show up on the cookies in from your PC.

Dishwater grit [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My 3 month new GE dishwasher is leaving a white haze and brown grit all over my dishes and the inside of the dishwasher. It has a hard food disposal, bottom, middle, and top water sprayers, hot hot wash and rinse. I use Cascade clean rinse w/ shine shield (what little that does). I tried to...

View more questions Search