Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Dishwater grit
    Hello,
    My 3 month new GE dishwasher is leaving a white haze and brown grit all over my dishes and the inside of the dishwasher. It has a hard food disposal, bottom, middle, and top water sprayers, hot hot wash and rinse. I use Cascade clean rinse w/ shine shield (what little that does). I tried to remove the plastic Shields that cover what I'm thinking is the drain - and a white screen like thing in the back, but they won't come off so that I can see if it needs to be cleaned. This is really nerve racking considering I bought this expensive dishwasher because my old cheepy brand one was doing the same thing (but it started at 10 years old - it was even Green - best dishwasher I ever had).
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2006, 04:13 PM
    Do you have a water softener and are you on a pump or city water? How often do you flush out your water heater? Waiting on you, Tom
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jan 13, 2006, 07:31 PM
    I'm with Tom, look at the water supply.

Fill up a large glass (even better, a large jar or pitcher) from a nearby tap - the hot water tap.

Look at it, what's floating around in it? Wait a while, what's in the bottom of the glass?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Hi, I actually found the culprit. Broken glass blocking the drain.
    -Kae
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Feb 1, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Hehehehe... sometimes we dig way too deep, ;)

Thanks for the update - having read the forum, sometimes you just wonder what finally solved the problem.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Feb 1, 2006, 09:53 PM
    I think worth mentioning... you were talking about a hard food disposer... Let me assure you, there is no such thing in a dishwasher. You should always scrape all solid food from dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. Most sales people talk about these things, but in reality, they haven't the foggiest idea of what they are talking about. They are merely regurgitating what the factory sales reps have told them to say. I can assure you that I have retreived many small soft food items from the sumps of dishwashers that should have been pulverized, but weren't. Rinsing your dishes first is generally not a good idea, but certainly you should refrain from allowing solid food matter from entering the system. You may regret it in the future. Everyone eventually learns this lesson, but hopefully I can save you the money. Also, it may be a good habit if, in the future, you could note the model and serial numbers off the appliance/equipment data plate you're dealing with. It can shave quite a bit of time both for you and the ones offering assistance. Cheers!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search