Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aakiele Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 02:31 PM
    Fired caregiver
    My mother recently fired a caregiver who was employee to take care of my grandmother ( she has Alzheimer ). The care giver has been increasingly verbally abusive not to my grandmother but my mother. One day when I was over I overheard her yelling at my mother for something and I had to intervene ( personally I would have let her go a long time ago ) but my mother did not. She let her get away with this kind of behavior for several months and finally had enough and fired her. Now the lady is filing an unemployment claim. I know the laws are in this persons favor. Does anybody have any advice on how my mother can get out of having to pay this crazy lady unemployment benefits? We have filed an appeal per she stated to the unemployment agent that she was fired because my mother could no longer afford her. This is not true per my mother has someone else who is much more respectful and follows the rules of the house ( i.e. not taking my frail grandmother on your personal errands and lying to my mother about it, having relatives over the house when you have been told no visitors in the house etc). We live in GA and we have learned much too late that just because she has signed an agreement that she is a 1099 employee does not mean my mother is not liable for taxes and unemployment benefits. Does anyone have any advise. We are up for an appeal to the decision next week. Please help!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 04:14 PM

If she claims she was terminated because your mother couldn't afford her but your mother then hired someone else for the same (or better) money, then you need to take your proof of what the new person is paid to the hearing.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aakiele View Post
    Does anybody have any advice on how my mother can get out of having to pay this crazy lady unemployment benefits?
    Hello a:

Your mother DOESN'T pay the benefits. The state unemployment insurance
    Fund does. If your mother hires another caregiver her unemployment insurance rates may go up, just like any insurance policy goes up when a claim is made.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caregiver compensation [ 7 Answers ]

Since 2000 I have overseen my elderly mother's care. She is completely dependent on me. Have moved her more than once a year as she declined, bring her to my home a full day each week, take care of all dr appts etc, do finances. My sis, who lives in another state does not contribute or visit. In...

Caregiver in a will [ 2 Answers ]

My aunt had taken care of my grandmother from July 06 till jan 09,she worked full time the 1st yr,and also babysat her grand daughter the last 6 months. I am in Ontario canada. She and my brother are both executors to the will. She wants to make a claim against the will and knows she must step...

Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired, [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:

Not fired, then fired, after boss was beat [ 6 Answers ]

I was called in the office and confronted about time differences on the time sheet. I had to wait for a customer to get home that morning, (30 min.). I called the office and informed them. So I added 15 extra minutes to my time. I was told that I couldn't do that. I asked was I being fired for it...

View more questions Search