Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mark C Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Graphing Linear Equation
    I need some assistance on a question could someone please help?
    Here is the question in the book.
    Do the points (3, -4) (18, 6) and (9, 0) all lie on the same line? If so what is the equation of the line.
    I looked in the answer section the answer is yes and the equation is 2x-3y=18
    I do not know how to work the three points into the equation and I can't find any solutions in the book to help me.
    Thank's for the help.
    Mark
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2007, 11:24 PM
    Easiest way is to draw a graph :p
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 05:28 AM
    How do you mean worked out form? What do you disagree with in my answer? It would be nice if you had replied to help me help you, rather than just giving negative rep.

The best way to do it that I can see is to graph it, and if you can put a line through all 3, then work out m and c in y = mx + c by finding the y intercept and gradient of the line you have drawn.

Since the topic is "graphing linear function", I assume you want to graph it.
    dnutakor Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Well, let's do this by substituting the x and y values in the equation (left handside of equation) to see if we will get 18 (right handside of the equation).
    1. x = 3; y = -4 gives 2(3) - 3(-4) = 6 + 12 = 18

2. x = 18; y = 6 gives 2(18) - 3(6) = 36 - 18 = 18

3. x = 9; y = 0 gives 2(9) - 3(0) = 18 - 0 = 18

Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Word equation as chemical equation and balance [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with these. I don't get it.:confused: Aluminum bromide + chlorine yield aluminum chloride +bromine Potassium chlorate when heated yields potassium chloride + oxygen gas Hydrogen +nitrogen monoxide yield water + nitrogen

See if you can solve this; it's a linear equation [ 1 Answers ]

Your teacher is giving you a test worth 100 points containing 40 questions. There are 2-point and 4-point questions on the test. How many of each type of question are on the test? Is this right: the equation is 2x+4y=100 over x+y=40 I got: 2x+4y=100 -2(x+y)=40)

Graphing [ 1 Answers ]

I have 5 questions I need help with . 1) Draw a sketch of each of the following equations. Be sure to label all appropriate points. These are separate equations. A) .2x - .5y = -.3 B) 1/6x + 1/5 = -1 C) 1/3x + 1/2y = 2 D) .9 - .1y = 1

View more questions Search