Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gloriadawn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 08:39 PM
    Best Immigration options for marriage of US citizen and Indian in approx. two years ?
    I am a US citizen and my fiancé is Indian. He needs to finish school- 2 more years to get his degree and then the plan is for him to come here and work and we would like to get married as soon as we can plan a simple wedding. But we are realizing that immigration laws are not so simple and we need to start looking at options. Neither of us have any money right now- I am unemployed and he is a student but at least we have some time to start saving for the future. He has some family in California that could possibly sponsor him but I am in Seattle and we would both prefer if he could come straight here with a green card to work as soon as he gets to the US. If he came to California on a travel visa or something like that and then we got married while he was here would it help him get a green card faster? Or if I went to India next year and married him there would he get a green card by the time his finishes school a year later? We would like to just get married when we are ready to plan a wedding here but if getting a green card is going to be a problem then we will do what it takes to speed things up. Can you please tell me what are the best options for us to consider and what these options will cost and the time it will take from start to green card and where should we go to start the process. We are starting from complete ignorance of immigration laws and no money to pay for a lawyers advice. Thank you so much for your help. -Gloria
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 04:49 PM

Please read: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/A2eng.pdf
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Oct 7, 2009, 08:00 AM

Get married, anywhere in the world, then file the I-130 now and prepare to file the K-3 visa about 6-8 months before he plans to come to the US.

Please note that if he is married to a USC, he may have problems getting a visitor visa renewed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage law between a Turkish citizen and Greek citizen [ 0 Answers ]

To whom it may concern ı would like to find out if a Turkish citizen gets married in Greece with a Greek citizen does the Turkish citizen has to wait and remain in Greece until her residant permit arrives? Doesn't she aloud to travel abroad before the resident permit document arrives? How...

F1-OPT-H1B(Indian citizen) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Need some help with my tax situation. Citizenship:India Came to US: Aug 2002 Have been in US since then. Worked on OPT status from March 2005 to September 2005

Taxes for Indian Citizen on H1 in US [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen from India. I am currently on H1 visa. I have been on H1 since 2003. Which tax form should I file? Am I allowed to be treated as non resident under tax treaty and file NR form? Last year I was a dual status but instead filed 1040 EZ. I think I could have filed 1040 NR...

View more questions Search