Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CJstudent Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Does anyone Know how to create a Web site data base?
    Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to create a web site data base? It doesn't have to be complicated. I just wanted to create a data base for my field of study: basically including web sites that would be useful for different areas of research. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can create one, I would greatly appreciated it.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 03:59 AM
    Further info is needed and "not complicated" qualified. The scope of your desire could range from simply using the favorites or bookmarks features of your browser, to having a local Microsoft Access database of websites with search capability, to having a globally accessible web site supported by a back end MySQL database that scours the web and catagorizes all the research sites of interest it finds.

How many sites are we talking?
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jul 19, 2008, 05:59 AM
    It depends (to paraphrase ex-prez Clinton) on what you mean by "database".

If you mean, "how do I create a simple list of categories and links to sites and put them up on a set of web pages", then you'll need a website design tool that lets you create lists & tables & pages and link them together. I can make some recommendations if that's the case.

If on the other hand you mean, "how do I create a website that's searchable by various criteria", then there are two possible approaches:

1) The records for individual entries go on separate pages and you provide a search capability that will return matching pages. Here's a solution written in PHP. You'll need to know HTML and some PHP to do this.

2) The records for individual entries go into a database and you generate the pages on the fly (dynamic pages). You'll need to know PHP and MySQL to do this; a more programming intensive solution than 1). Here's a book I recommend for learning PHP and MySQL.
    CJstudent Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Hello Vingogly,
    Thank you very much for responding to my question. Actually I don't think I need anything all that technical, LOL I am not a technical person when it comes to computer stuff. However, what I want to do is create a "database" that will be used strictly for research. In that database I wanted to include links that will be useful for all areas of my major which is Criminal Justice. So I was thinking of used Excel, I could possibly create this " research data base". It will be a list of 25 or more web sites that will be useful for researching different topics in Criminal Justice. For instance, I would have a column for Forensics, and underneath that I will have a list of web sites, books or similar materials that will be useful,along with a brief summary of the websites, then so on and so forth. Hopefully this makes sense to you and anyone else that reads my posts.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jul 22, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Ah, that's a different matter then! The Excel solution would work... but you might want to look at these solutions:

Evernote - Collect & organize a wide variety of information (Windows or Mac)
    ZuluPad - Personal wiki, free form hypertext system (Mac equivalent: VoodooPad)
    WinJournal - Journaling software (Mac equivalent: MacJournal)

All allow you to collect a variety of information types, including URLs. Which is best for you depends on your style of working, basically. I think they all have try before you buy options (I personally use VoodooPad and MacJournal, Evernote is a bit of overkill for me).

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Works data base [ 1 Answers ]

I have built up a large data base in works but cannot mail merge does anyone know how Gary

Email notification when new data on site [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for software or other means of getting email notifications of new information on a web page Specifically, when there is a new assignment that matches my profile on a work available site. I am enrolled with several companies that post work available that matches my profile on their...

How do I create a web form on my site? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a Mac user and I created a site for our school using iWeb. I would like to create web forms in which prospective parents can complete and submit their application and registration completely online. What software/program(s) do I need to do this? Once I've created the form, what do I...

Data Base Developer [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to find Data Base developer Kevin Kirchman? Is he still working on search engines?

View more questions Search