Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelus_of_kl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 03:04 PM
    Marrying an american citizen who wishes to file for bankruptcy
    Hi,
    Myself and a GF are thinking about getting married, problem is she has about 25K in debts and while earning about 32K a year barely able to pay them off each month. I am as a foreign citizen wish to marry her but I don't know how that might effect us in general. Will we be able to get married even if she files for bankruptcy? And will she be able to file for one even if she owns a car and has a job?
    Thank you in advance.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2010, 03:12 PM

Unless things have changed, one problem you may run into is that if you are thinking of coming over on a fiancé visa, she will have to show that she can support you. Hard to do if she files bankruptcy... unless she has a family member willing to sponsor you as well.

Has she actually contacted the places she owes money to? In these times some are willing to cut interest rates or even part of the balance in order to at least be getting some money back.

Are there areas she could cut back on to be able to put more money towards her debt? Cell phone, cable television, cable internet access, entertainment, cheaper car, etc. It's not fun to have to go without the extras for awhile until she can get the debt under control, but it sure beats having a bankruptcy over your head, especially when starting in a marriage.

It can effect getting a mortgage, and sometimes even a place to rent... car loan, just about any type of financing you might want over the next few years. It can be done, but you will have a more difficult time finding someone to give you a loan and will pay a much higher interest.

Jun 1, 2010, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Unless things have changed, one problem you may run into is that if you are thinking of coming over on a fiance visa, she will have to show that she can support you. Hard to do if she files bankruptcy....unless she has a family member willing to sponsor you as well.

Has she actually contacted the places she owes money to? In these times some are willing to cut interest rates or even part of the balance in order to at least be getting some money back.

Are there areas she could cut back on to be able to put more money towards her debt? Cell phone, cable television, cable internet access, entertainment, cheaper car, etc.? It's not fun to have to go without the extras for awhile until she can get the debt under control, but it sure beats having a bankruptcy over your head, especially when starting out in a marriage.

It can effect getting a mortgage, and sometimes even a place to rent....car loan, just about any type of financing you might want over the next few years. It can be done, but you will have a more difficult time finding someone to give you a loan and will pay a much higher interest.
    Hi,

Well we know each other for almost 11 years, and on my last visit to states as a tourist we decided to get official once and for all (LOL) I am in states on tourist visa and was thinking that if we are already serious and we know each other pretty well to know that it is what we want, I don't mind working off the debts even, but she wants to file for bankruptcy I just don't know how it will effect us. Do I have to have a sponsor? If I have the money/ work experience in IT industry can I prove that I don't need the sponsorship? Or is it something that has to be done?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2010, 03:28 PM

Check out this site for starters to see if you would qualify to immigrate through a different route other than fiancé or spousal visas. There are very strict regulations in place and it would be unwise to try to get around them. Yes, it is time consuming and expensive, but you run the risk of being deported and possibly banned from entry if you don't follow the rules.

A bankruptcy, unless absolutely necessary, is not a very good way to start in a marriage. There is no guarantee you will find a job right away, and while it won't effect you as such if she files before you are married, you will have difficulty obtaining loans on your own. You may have excellent credit from the country you live in now, but it won't transfer to the US... you will be starting from scratch and having to rebuild your credit here.

If she can figure out another way, it would be wise... but bankruptcy is not the end of the world, just makes things more difficult for awhile.

USCIS Home Page

Jun 1, 2010, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Check out this site for starters to see if you would qualify to immigrate through a different route other than fiance or spousal visas. There are very strict regulations in place and it would be unwise to try to get around them. Yes, it is time consuming and expensive, but you run the risk of being deported and possibly banned from entry if you don't follow the rules.

A bankruptcy, unless absolutely necessary, is not a very good way to start out in a marriage. There is no guarantee you will find a job right away, and while it won't effect you as such if she files before you are married, you will have difficulty obtaining loans on your own. You may have excellent credit from the country you live in now, but it won't transfer to the US....you will be starting from scratch and having to rebuild your credit here.

If she can figure out another way, it would be wise...but bankruptcy is not the end of the world, just makes things more difficult for awhile.

USCIS Home Page
    Thank you for the answer :) I will check the site you provided

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are all the papers to file when married to american citizen? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I just got married in the US to an american citizen and now I want to know what are all the papers that I need to file to migration, my current status in the us is tourist since Im a resident of a south american country. Thank you

How can an american citizen file for a non resident [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend in the united states that would like to spouncer me staying in the us to work and eventually have me be a resident there?

American citizen marrying a Colombian [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know what are the requirements or paper work that will be needed for an american citizen who wants to marry a colombian, I have heard about being able to ask for her to be allowed to come to the United States so that colombian can have the chance to marry the american citizen, I...

Marrying an American citizen who may have a felony [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a student visa in the US. I have been dating my fiancée who is an American citizen and we are planning to get married. The problem is that few months ago, she got in trouble when she was in the wrong place and wrong time and she may have some felony charges and may need to be on probation....

View more questions Search