Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tammyp Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2006, 01:47 AM
    Desperate situation with lab puppy
    I have a 4 month old labXgsd. I have had her from 6weeks old. I was supposed to be moving into a house after a month which was fine - with me having the puppy inside my flat. Things have gone horrible wrong with my transfer which means I won't be getting my house soon. I feel terrible for keeping my puppy in my flat which doesn't allow for much exercise and space for her which is resulting in her biting. She is such a gem that I can't bring myself to give her away. I'm scared of sending to the kennels. I have an option of sending her to a relative until I move but I'm no sure how that woud affect her because she has been inside for so long & pampered so much. How would this impact on her? I still feed her 3 times a day - is this still necessary? Would she manage outside & being away from me because even if I visit it wouldn't be everyday ? I don't want her to hate me or think I abandoned her because I love her to bits & it is breaking my heart to be separated from her. Please advise
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2006, 05:41 AM
    Hi, tammy,
    Dogs need exercise, about a brisk 45 min. walk every day. It tires them out, takes away some of their need for aggressiveness. Dogs can't be "couch potatoes"... it's not their nature, and they are not happy with it.
    As for the amount of food to give, the dry dog food bag will have the amount to feed everyday, based on the dog's weight. Your Vet can also suggest how much to feed, to avoid it being overweight.
    The decision is yours, whether to give it away or not. Dogs are very, very adaptable to many situations; as evident from LA and Katrina. After many of them survived, many of them have new homes; some even with their real owners.
    Your dog would be happier with someone who can give it exercise, whether it lives inside or outside in a dog house. I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    Don't worry about a dog "hating" you. Dogs live from day to day, and only will show anger at someone who has physically abused them, day after day, such as actually hitting them with something.
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

May 16, 2006, 08:12 AM
    I have a lab/shepherd mix also, I walk her 3 kms morning , noon and night, plus we have frisbee or fetch in the yard for about 30 minutes twice a day, this tires her out, being part lab she has plenty of energy, exercise your pup often during the day and she/he won't mind being cooped up in a flat.
    Daladier Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2006, 12:59 PM
    I had a similar problem,although in my case it wasn't a lab!I ended up buying another dog to keep each other company and it worked well,although because my first dog was so spoilt it took some time for them to like each other.
    Stop with the 3 meals,slowly wean it down to 2 and avoid kennels.Even sending your dog to the nicest kennels can have them coming back with all kinds.
    Your dog won't feel animosity towards you for sending it to a relatives.I did that when I was away for a while and was surprised at how well my dog got on with my nan!They are still ultra excited when they see you and as far as I know she has never held a grudge for that time apart!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A cat in desperate need of help [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 years old cat, male, 3.7 Kg, and his mother persian bread. 4 Days ago he startes to vomit every half hour, vomiting acompanied by Diarrhea. Every time vomit was yellow at first with a mucus then a white Foam. There were no signs of blood. The diarrhea was also frequent (45 Min -...

Desperate ! Dog won't eat! [ 3 Answers ]

Please help. I have tried... chicken and rice, beef and rice, "Frosty Paws", peanut butter, cottage cheese, vegetable beef soup, hamburger, canned dog food... My 8 year old lab won't eat anything... Please, If anyone has any suggestions, We will be forever thankfull.

Desperate for an answer [ 2 Answers ]

:( A family member is ill I would like to know if they will make it through this new year. My husband has a heavy heart over his job, do you see any changes there? A friend is in real crisis any ideas of what may happen with that. Thank You. :confused:

What is this song, please, I'm desperate! [ 1 Answers ]

There is this club song I heard on holiday in portugal. It kind of has a rumba/latin beat, but is still house. It goes na na na na na na na na na nya, na na na na na na, nya. It's a male voice. A bit like enrique in the verses. Please help me if you can!! Cheers

View more questions Search