Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zakattack Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 11:17 PM
    Where do Catholics get this stuff?
    Where do catholics get the idea of purgatory from? Also do they still think the pope can sentence somebody to hell, or even a whole town. (we studied this in history I have no idea if Catholics still believe the pope has this power)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2007, 03:15 AM
    I never heard of that ever before. The pope sentencing somebody to hell. Well I am a Roman Catholic. Raised Catholic. Never heard of anything the way you described it. I would say it was never true.

The only true judge is God, The father.

Joe
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Purgatory is a dogma of the Catholic Church; it teaches that those who die in a state of grace, but are still imperfectly purified, are assured of their salvation but must undergo a purification in order to achieve the holiness necessary to enter Heaven. It includes, and is indeed based on, the belief that these elect may be aided by the prayer and sufferings of the faithful and the Sacrifice of the Mass. Thus, "purgatory" is the name given to this process of purification. Though in the Latin tradition it has often been understood as involving a purifying fire, purgatory is entirely different from the punishment of the damned in Hell.

In Greek tradition, and thus in the doctrine of both the Eastern Rite Catholic Churches and the Eastern Orthodox Church, the word "purgatory" is not used to describe this process of purification, and it is not understood as place of suffering. However, these churches agree with the Latin Church that there is a process of transformation for the dead destined for heaven, and that prayer is efficacious for the dead in this state. Greek theology, rather than use the Latin "purgatorium", speaks of a "final theosis".

The main Protestant belief is of an instantaneous and painless event, glorification, by which the Holy Spirit regenerates those whose sins have been forgiven through faith in Jesus Christ. Certain Islamic and Jewish beliefs are sometimes interpreted to be similar or equivalent to purgatory.

As for The Pope condemning an entire town to Hell - it is not done anymore. I would not make fun of it though - without knowing the specifics and of which Pope you are speaking of, I am not going to comment further.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 06:15 AM
    No, the Pope does not have this power, actually the Pope has no "power" he is the head of the church.

Prugatory comes from the bible, in general terms about that all people will be judged and also be punished for their sins.
    There are a few books of the bible that the non catholic/orthodox left out of their bible. ( it makes little difference in the over all meaning of the bible, but purgatory was one issue that it did leave out.

And there were people who were Pope who abused their power and authority, and used the Catholic Church to control people for political reasons. In this, I am sure some did wrong, such as taking money for salvation.

But this was not ever a true church teaching and is not today a church teaching.
    zakattack Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 10:22 PM
    What are these left out books.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 05:08 AM
    In The Old Tesstament, the books of Tobit, Judith, Esther, I and II Maccabees, Wisdom. Sirach, and Baruck.

This is a good reference: USCCB - The New American Bible

About Purgatory - here is a good reference: CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Purgatory and this one: Purgatory
    redkat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zakattack
    Where do catholics get the idea of purgatory from? Also do they still think the pope can sentence somebody to hell, or even a whole town. (we studied this in history I have no idea if Catholics still belive the pope has this power)
    In past centuries, purgartory was largely an invention of the catholic church. Corrupt priest used this as a way of extorting money from parishoners. Tellling the families they could buy their loved ones into heaven out of purgatory. My understanding is the Catholic church has toned down this belief a great deal and it is mostly contemplated by the devout.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

More stuff [ 3 Answers ]

Grave Service As a young minister, I was asked by a funeral director to hold a Graveside service in a new cemetery for a derelict man (with no Family or friends) who had died while traveling through the Area. The cemetery was way back in the country. This man would be the First to...

Catholics [ 4 Answers ]

Do catholic beliefs differ from one another ?

How do I get my stuff back? [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé and I split up over 2 weeks ago. Let me start with we had been together for 6 months. I gave her a key to my house about 3 months ago because she was done work before I was that day. I let her keep the key. Now up till this point I had not seen the inside of her house. She claimed it was...

Need some stuff for my... [ 3 Answers ]

That's me again folks Lol I was wondering if someone could help me because I would to lighten safely my bikini zone and lower U know what I mean ?:D Like I would like to have an even skin tone down there too Please help me if you know good stuff Thanks!:rolleyes:

Weird stuff... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... My girlfriend and I had unprotected sex recently, and now some weird stuff is going on. She says that there's a liquid that is red, but not the consistancy of blood, coming out of her. This happened a few months ago as well. She's not getting period cramps or anything, so we don't think...

View more questions Search