Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    razzamataz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 06:40 AM
    How to file when foreign wife is wealthy (living outside US)
    Most of the questions swing around the idea that both expat spouses are American citizens or that the American one is making all th money. My case it a bit different.

My Thai wife makes quite a bit of money and follows all the tax laws of Thailand. She is not a green card holder or US citizen in any way. She has only been to the US once for a short visit. I am between jobs and have no income... maybe some later this year but well under the 82,400 foreign deduction.

Ive filed every year so all my taxes are current. Can I file married filing separately and just be done with it ? Would she have any tax liability with the IRS ? It would seem rather silly if she did. Just cause she married me, now she would have to pay US tax? :eek:

Can someone please clarify how the IRS treats this situation ?

David
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 18, 2007, 10:44 AM
    David:

Yes, you can file Married Filing Separately. If all of her income is Thailand-sourced, and she chooses NOT to file jointly with you, then she has NO TAX LIABILITY to the U.S.

The IRS may require that you get her an ITIN (Form W-7), but there is no requirement that she pay taxes to the U.S. if all of her income is from Thailand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign Wife and Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I were married in Japan this year (April 2007). I am now in the process of getting her immigration started (I-130). At this time she is still a permanent resident of Japan. I am hoping that she will be able to immigrate before the end of the year but I am unsure. IT may not be until the...

Foreign Tax Credit for Filing Jointly, but living in different countries [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the situation: I'm a Permanent Resident, worked full-time in the US in 2006. My spouse was on an H-1, worked in the US till July went back to home country. He worked in home country from July, earned equivalent of $2500 in 2006. He has no immediate plans of returning to the US. He paid...

How to file if married & living in a foreign country [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am an American citizen who has been living in South Africa for the last 7 years. I have just discovered that I need to submit an IRS tax return for the last year. I have also married a South African citizen last year. Neither of us has any income from the US. My question is how should...

Foreign Income, No W2 -- How to file? [ 1 Answers ]

From 1/2006 to 9/2006 I was working for a foreign entity overseas and thus do not have a W2 for these earnings. I do not qualify for the foreign earned income and housing exclusion - deduction. 1. What line on the 1040 should this income be filed under and what kind of explanation, if any,...

Living in NJ, work in NY, how should I file [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I live in NJ and always file both Federal and State returns as Married Filing Jointly. In 2005 I took a new job working in Manhatten. My wife continued to work in NJ. I'm using TaxCut software, and completed our Federal return using the Married filing jointly status. I realized...

View more questions Search